Phone says it's charging but its notGeneral

Last Updated:

1. v0laticus

v0laticus Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought a used Eris off of Ebay to hold me over until January or so. It came rooted with the XTRsense rom, overclocked, apps2sd, etc. The phone runs great and the battery life seems decent, however, it won't charge. When I plug it in, the battery icon shows that it's charging, but when I unplug it, the battery is still at the same percentage. I left it charging overnight last night, and it was still at like 40% life this morning. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? If it's hardware related, I don't mind popping it open if it saves me from dealing with the hassle of returning this phone and going back to my Storm. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The cable may be bad and in need of replacement.. or the battery itself.

I'd start with which ever is cheaper in your area, then if that did not remedy the problem, purchase the other item. ;)

3. v0laticus

Thanks for the quick reply. Are there any other phones that use the same charger as the Eris? I can just try using my charger with one of my friends' phones and see if that works. If not, I guess I'll buy a new battery.

4. Frisco

The tip that goes into the phone on the Eris is common with many devices, even some digital cameras. The other end is the USB connector, obviously.

Just look for the small connector with the beveled edge on one lower corner.. it's fairly common.

5. v0laticus

Tried my friends charger, and it didn't work either. Any other ideas? :(

6. jhug

jhug Active Member

I noticed that when using my car charger and Navigation - that sometimes the phone does not charge. It doesn't lose battery life, but will not charge more even on a multi-hour trip.

I thought I heard somewhere that the battery will not charge if the phone gets too hot. Navigation heats the phone up (I think), which might explain my situation.

I also noticed lack of charging when I was overclocking with EvilEris3 (which I no longer use) and the phone would get hot.

7. Frisco

The next step is to try charging another battery in the device (a friends or purchase one) to see if your battery has basically aged to the point of no longer accepting a charge.

8. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

batteries are cheap on Amazon. $9!

I have an extra one on hand all the time.

9. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Actually OP. I had the exact same problem with XTRSense. I would leave it to charge overnight. But by morning, the charging LED was off, and my battery was below 40%. I found out the only way to charge it properly, was to turn the phone off. But since it charged with the phone off, that ruled out it being a hardware issue, but was actually a problem with XTRSense.

Flashed KaosFroyo and now it works properly again.

So OP, try reflashing XTR, or a different ROM, and see if it does fix it.

10. bjkatcher

bjkatcher New Member

I had this problem, and it was because so much pocket lint had built up inside the charge socket. Try blowing it out with some canned air and then carefully picking it out with a paper clip. Worked for me.