• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone scrolls all by itself

RipTide

Lurker
May 1, 2010
Im new to the whole droid/smart phone thing so Im reading the boards to educate myself. Ive been having a new problem that I cant find any posts on. just started today, when Im looking thru a menu that has a list, like contacts or ring-tones, my phone will scroll thru them all.without any help from me. i.e...I wanted to show a new ring-tone to a friend and while it was playing the phone selected the previous ring-tone, played it for like 1.5 seconds, ascended to the next one up, played it then continued that way till it reached the top. Its done this while browsing my contacts and any other lists in my phone. Ive done a re-boot... now it doesent happen all the time but once in a while it will.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks!

I've had the same problem. I made a post on here a few days ago because my phone was, as soon as I unlocked it, moving itself to the left-most "home screen" and occasionally flitting back to the one on its right. It was difficult to get the phone to accept my "touches" and even the capacitive buttons weren't responding. In addition to dust/debris obscuring the optical joystick, I was also informed static electricity can have an effect and apparently needs to be discharged (somehow???). So like the poster before said, try cleaning off the optical joystick, and I think putting the phone in a loose cloth pocket like a fleece jacket might be where the static problem might come from.

Reactions: RipTide
Upvote 0
Thanks guys,
I did find and read your post line6, but it didnt really happen on the home screens, only when there are multiple selelctions on the screen. After I posted, I was on the internet on my dinc and near the bottom of a web page, the phone then highlighted every clickable link on the way up to the top of the page,(and it always goes up, never down or randomly) only when it got to the top did it stop. its very odd. I havent found a solution yet.

Upvote 0
My first Incredible did this too. The screen would scroll all the way to the left most screen randomly. Verizon sent me a replacement phone, which didn't have this problem, but, I could not hear any thing when on a call on the replacement phone. They phone they sent was a refurbished one. I could tell since there was another phone number other than mine on the paperwork. Probably the original purchaser of the phone. Anyhow, I'm going back to my Storm for a while. I'll try again after they put my upgrade date back so I can be sure I'll get a new phone.

Upvote 0
My phone also experiences this problem occasionally. Like the OP, my phone never has problems on any of the home screens. Sometimes the phone will highlight something near the top of my phone and then move down methodically to the bottom of the screen until it begins to scroll the entire page. It never actually SELECTS anything, but it's super annoying. If I select anything above the scrolling action it resets the movement and starts going down again.

It's only happened a couple of times now, but it seems to love doing it on my Facebook app... it'll scroll all the way through my News Feed on it's own. I'll try cleaning the phone tonight and report if it has any effect.

Upvote 0
My screen did the same thing. The home screens would move randomly, the cursor would go haywire selecting apps on their own. I couldn't use the phone properly until i wiggled the joystick for a few sec.
I believe it is the joystick/optical so i cut out a round piece of black electrical tape and put it on the joystick. I really don't use it for scrolling anyways and with this you can still push it as a button ( for the camera etc..)

Never had the problem again.
Hope this helps'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones