• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone seems so laggy...

I took Optimus' advice when Helix needed to be put in timeout. There are split seconds in the FC loop that it will respond to things, so just keep hitting the search button. When it brings up the search dialong behind the constant force close dialogs, type "settings" and tell it to search in between force close dialogs. It will bring up the Settings screen. In there, you can Manage Applications to kill the service or uninstall it completely.

Unfortunately, I changed two things. I removed the task killer and Helix. I am not sure which was the culprit. Maybe when I decide to take Helix out of timeout, I can isolate that.

Upvote 0
After going through this whole thread, I was going to reply to the core question before it all went to debate land, that Helix most likely would be the culprit but I see you answered your own question. The threads for Helix have a ton of complaints of lag and a ton that say they don't have it. I've installed Helix on 2.01 and it made *my* Droid unusable. After upgrading to 2.1, I tried it again and while on *my* Droid it is vastly improved, I still am noticing annoying lag in certain apps that don't have it when Helix is not installed. I have kept Helix because it is the least laggy of home replacements that I've used, but every day I grow more and more impatient with the lag from it. If only 2.1 had the 5 screens that the N1 has!!!!! ARGH! I would have much rather had 5 screens that the laggy POS implementation of live wallpapers. Beautiful to show off, but oh so much of a resource hog. I most likely will reach a point on uninstalling Helix until a new version comes out to try.

Upvote 0
I also have lag since 2.1 - no live WP

icons lag to show up on desktop

I don't buy the ATK supposed perf issues mentioned here. I have read many topics and they cut both ways. Hell, Verizon downloaded it to my buddies new Droid he just got while he was in he store. ATK is fine and useful I say PLUS I had no lag pre 2.1 and had ATK and now post 2.1 I have lag.

Upvote 0
i just stopped using Helix launcher and the speed has increased dramatically. No lag whatsoever in anything now on the phone...

The bad thing is that i liked the shortcuts at the bottom, however i prefer my phone to be fast and with no lag at all... thus back to the stock home application.

Sometimes i'm wondering all these home replacements applications out there, but not even 1 that works without any errors....Strange thing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones