• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone shuts off randomly. Please help!

kirov371

Lurker
Oct 4, 2013
I know there have been many threads like this one, but I have never seen someone with the issue I have. I have LG TrueHD LTE p936 (equivalent of LG Nitro HD) and it comes with stock 2.3.6 Gingerbread. I have updated it to ICS 4.0.4 by using non official methods since they didn't work, but I have flashed an official kdz. Thing is now phone randomly shuts off in middle of work or middle of idk unlocking... it is random. It shuts off and it won't turn on. I hold the power button for like 30 seconds and nothing. Then I have to pull the battery out and put it back to turn on the phone. I did factory reset 2 times on ICS, and the problem is still here. Can anyone tell me what to do?

First off welcome to the site :hello:.

I'm afraid I cannot be of much help. If you were able to make a backup of your stable 2.3.6 you _might_ want to think about reverting. I know the Motorola A855 (Droid 1) official updates stopped at Froyo 2.2.2, we were able to flash Gingerbread 2.3.7 on it, but it got a bit shaky and when someone 'cooked' up an ICS 4.x.x ROM for it, it wouldn't handle it at all and exhibited the same symptoms you describe.

good luck

Upvote 0
First off welcome to the site :hello:.

I'm afraid I cannot be of much help. If you were able to make a backup of your stable 2.3.6 you _might_ want to think about reverting. I know the Motorola A855 (Droid 1) official updates stopped at Froyo 2.2.2, we were able to flash Gingerbread 2.3.7 on it, but it got a bit shaky and when someone 'cooked' up an ICS 4.x.x ROM for it, it wouldn't handle it at all and exhibited the same symptoms you describe.

good luck

Hmm why would they release ICS update if phone would bug... I have heard that some users also had similar issues on ICS and that Jelly Bean is more stable, so I have thought of rooting my phone and installing Cyanogenmod 4.2.2, it does support NitroHD and my device. Do you think that is a good option?

Upvote 0
Ahh, re-reading your OP I see that you say it was an official release. But usually an official update to your phone is done over the air, without much manual interaction by you. You'll just look at your phone and it'll say, "Update available".

But you can try rooting it and installing a Jelly Bean ROM of your choice, just remember to use the latest custom recovery available so it is compatible with Jelly bean 4.2.x otherwise your sdcard will get some duplications. I think the least version of CWRecovery to use would be 6.0.2.3.

good luck

Upvote 0
I have installed Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and clockwork recovery, they seem to work well now. By the way, the official LG Software update tool was bugged, it downloaded and installed same update over and over and nothing happened, that is why I downloaded official kdz and installed it with kdz installer.

Upvote 0
I found out why the phone randomly shuts down. It seems that the ICS update LG released has a problem with CPU scaling. The only way to fix it would to either downgrade to Gingerbread and I think update to Jelly Bean ROM or to install some app like SetCPU and set CPU to constant speed so it doesn't have to decrease and increase the speed much...

Upvote 0
I know there have been many threads like this one, but I have never seen someone with the issue I have. I have LG TrueHD LTE p936 (equivalent of LG Nitro HD) and it comes with stock 2.3.6 Gingerbread. I have updated it to ICS 4.0.4 by using non official methods since they didn't work, but I have flashed an official kdz. Thing is now phone randomly shuts off in middle of work or middle of idk unlocking... it is random. It shuts off and it won't turn on. I hold the power button for like 30 seconds and nothing. Then I have to pull the battery out and put it back to turn on the phone. I did factory reset 2 times on ICS, and the problem is still here. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Hello,
Please seek support here: LG Electronics Hong Kong: Discover Home Electricals & More | LG Hong Kong. ^CL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones