• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Shutting off randomly?

cryptarc

Lurker
Jul 22, 2010
Has anyone else experienced trying to wake your phone from sleep only to find it has been powered off?
Strangely, this did not happen the first 2 days, but started after charging the phone fully for a second time.
Could this any way be app related? I've only downloaded a few so far such as ATK.

Edit: I checked my phone right after writing this, and what do you know, it turned off....

My captivate has twice turned itself off during the night while I was sleeping and once while I was running errands with it in my pocket.

I've searched the internet for people having similar problems but have found none.

Anyone else having this issue?

I love the android OS (came from iphone4) but I'm second guessing my phone selection with the gps and now this issue.....

Upvote 0
My captivate has twice turned itself off during the night while I was sleeping and once while I was running errands with it in my pocket.

I've searched the internet for people having similar problems but have found none.

Anyone else having this issue?

I love the android OS (came from iphone4) but I'm second guessing my phone selection with the gps and now this issue.....
Yea. It's happening to a few peoples phones on here. No answers yet as to why it happens. Mine did it a couple days ago, but hasn't done it again since then.

Upvote 0
mine hasn't stayed on for any length of time since i bought it

Having the same problem. About once a day it just turns off.
At first it was only happening when the phone was in my pocket, so was thinking a combo of buttons were getting pushed. Well, just now it happened with the phone sitting on my desk. Phone just dies, go to unlock it nothing. If I press power the phone boots up and it has a 47% charge. No memory cards or rooting done, just apps installed. So the real question, is this a hardware issue or an app issue. Guess I will be doing a hard reset and not loading anything to see what happens. What a drag, otherwise LOVE the phone. The only thing that I’m noticing is JuicePlotter says 47% but the icon on the notification bar shows 75%+ charged. Is something thinking to battery is dead and shuts if off whereas it's actually got a good charge?

Upvote 0
Mine's doing this also. I'm thinking I might just take it back and exchange for a new one unless it's a simple fix. I'll give it a couple more days. I did look at the battery and it seemed loose on the end that doesn't have the connectors. I wedged a small piece of paper between the battery and the battery slot so it doesn't wiggle anymore. We'll see if that helps. Otherwise back to the store it goes. What a PITA!!! :mad:

Upvote 0
Having the same problem. About once a day it just turns off.
At first it was only happening when the phone was in my pocket, so was thinking a combo of buttons were getting pushed. Well, just now it happened with the phone sitting on my desk. Phone just dies, go to unlock it nothing. If I press power the phone boots up and it has a 47% charge. No memory cards or rooting done, just apps installed. So the real question, is this a hardware issue or an app issue. Guess I will be doing a hard reset and not loading anything to see what happens. What a drag, otherwise LOVE the phone. The only thing that I

Upvote 0
This is very odd, have you all found any fix or what is causing it? I know the issue my friend had we couldn't find anything other then taking the phone back and getting another one. NO issues at all now with it. Def everyone with this issue keep everyone update so everyone that might have this issue later on will know whats going and what to do.

Upvote 0
This is very odd, have you all found any fix or what is causing it? I know the issue my friend had we couldn't find anything other then taking the phone back and getting another one. NO issues at all now with it. Def everyone with this issue keep everyone update so everyone that might have this issue later on will know whats going and what to do.

I did a hard reset Monday afternoon on mine. Worked flawless (even the GPS would lock within seconds) until about 8 PM last night when I got home. Within an hour the unit died twice while sitting on my desk. Next step is to get it swapped. Love the phone otherwise but I need to trust it to stay on. (and the GPS is now doing the not locking thing too) :(

Upvote 0
Mine ended up turning off, and not being able to turn back on (I think SetCPU was the issue). Got a little scared, but then realized I made a nandroid backup (thank goodness), and was able to roll it back before I install SetCPU. So I'm not installing that app again until more testing can be done on it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones