Phone silently drop's from networkSupport

1. SamTzu

SamTzu New Member

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S II.
    ISP: Saunalahti.

Looks like this* is a common problem.
    It's really annoying since you don't know if someone is calling you since there is no trace of the missed calls. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the hardware, software, ISP or if the phone is somehow trying to use the Wireless LAN for some reason and can't reconnect to the 3G network at the same time?

*Phone drops out of the newer 3G network (in order to connect to the older/slower 2G/GSM network) without connecting back to the 3G network afterwards.

Advertisement
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

You don't mention what firmware you are running on your SGSII or your general location.

My first thought is that you are in a marginal 3G signal area and the phone is locking on to the strongest signal, which in this case appears to be 2G.

You can try and force it to use 3G by going to....

Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile networks > Network mode (and select WCDMA only)

This will force your phone to use only that network but... if you are living in a marginal or fluctuating 3G area, you may not get a signal at all. In which case you could choose GSM only, so that your phone is not constanly searching for a WCDMA signal (I'm guessing that at the moment your phone is set to use either WCDMA/GSM).

The only other thing that may help is updating you firmware, if possible, via Samsung Kies PC Suite. Other than that, you could root your phone and install an up-to-date firmware such as KH3 or KI4 if you are on an older firmware version (i.e. KE or KF).

Hope this helps. :D
  3. SamTzu

SamTzu New Member

Nope. Did not mention the firmware because it does not seem to matter.
    Started with 2.3.3. Upgrade to .4 did not help. Did a total factory reset and upgraded to .5 which seemed to work for about a week after which I started loosing call's again.
    Yesterday was the best though. I could receive call's but could not make any. :)
    Really. How can that be? I tested by calling to my self from another phone and that worked. But when I tried to call to someone else it looked like it was dialing and calling but the phone stayed totally silent. (No hands free!)
    I did try to force the WCDMA setting but then I lose the signal in bad reception areas.
    Maybe I should give up and just go with the GSM setting permanently.
    It's a shame though. I really like the phone.
    *** SIGH *** Just when I had given up on Nokia.

Sam "the man."