• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone so slow, screen does not light for incoming calls...

crw_83202

Lurker
May 20, 2016
I believe I made a huge mistake buying an Android phone. I've tried to use this for about 10 months.

Currently the phone response is so slow, the screen doesn't light up for an incoming call! After the caller gives up, then maybe I can get the stupid phone to start responding to input!

If I tap the screen, it takes several seconds to respond.

Part of the problem is, I went 8G storage, thinking that using a big SD card would work for me. But if the Android system and it's apps won't use it, what good is it? Every app seems to require being on the native storage, and this is regardless of if I have it configured as an external removable SD card, or extended native storage. (I'm on Marshmallow.....)

Why do I have to constantly have to delete junk files as if this was an old PC?

Why does it take two hours of babysitting the device to update anything?

I'm thinking of doing a general reset of everything so I can survive the next few months (until I can go back to Apple), any suggestions? How do I do this?

Part of the problem is, I think Google Play brings all my music to the local native 8G storage until it's completely full and then this destroys performance. But this is only a theory. I don't know how to reset just that.

Welcome to Android Forums.

Have you ever done a Wipe Cache Portion? This deletes all temporary data and doesn't touch permanent data, apps, or settings. It can become corrupted over time and cause moderate to severe performance problems. (I am using a Turbo 2 and Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance.)

If you still have the problem after that ... try running in Safe Mode. This will disable all apps you added without uninstalling them. If the problem stops it was caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Are you back to normal?

It has an interesting history. When you do a Factory Data Reset it does a few things. One of them is a Wipe Cache partition. In early Android people would get performance problems and the answer was always to do a Factory Data Reset. It worked. Then there was a release when it didn't work (they had left the Wipe Cache Partition out). This really got people excited and the result was that it was made available after that as a separate utility.

On my Droid Turbo it took about 9 minutes to run. on my Droid Turbo 2 it takes about a second. No one has ever explained why.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Ah, it's still cranking, but I went through the "reboot system" step. Every time I power it up it goes through an "optimizing app 1 of 1" thing, which takes 10 to 20 minutes.......... heading into a meeting now.

That almost sounds like you were doing as system update and it got nailed by the fragmented cache and is now completing.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

... Thom

Upvote 0
It's alive! I can now scroll and not wait three seconds to see the next screen!!! lol...

I did have an iPhone 4 with 8G, and it worked well, without ever needing low-level interventions like this. Oh well. I would not have bought the Moto with 8G if I knew that the whole SD card thing was a complete bait-and-switch.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's alive! I can now scroll and not wait three seconds to see the next screen!!! lol...

I did have an iPhone 4 with 8G, and it worked well, without ever needing low-level interventions like this. Oh well. I would not have bought the Moto with 8G if I knew that the whole SD card thing was a complete bait-and-switch.

iPhone 4 was a few years ago. Minimum is 16GB now, or 64GB. The latter might be recommended if you have a largish music and media library.

The SD on an Android device is not usually a "bait and switch", but you could issue with this particular Moto phone though. Especially if you can't even use the SD for music or something.

Upvote 0
I believe I made a huge mistake buying an Android phone. I've tried to use this for about 10 months.

Shocking... I'm an electrical engineer.

Whenever I read direct comparisons between iPhones and Androids I always apply some healthy skepticism. In this case, there's an iPhone 4, Apple's flagship phone in its day (being that only recently has Apple started to also release mid-level models) being compared to a Moto G, reputed to be an economy priced model with mid-level specs. Also blanket statements along the lines of '...huge mistake buying an Android phone...' and '...not wait three seconds to see the next screen!!! lol...' indicate this is more a thread to troll the forum more than anything. As the problems allegedly described don't apply to all Moto G phones much less Android phones in general, if the OP is indeed an electrical engineer he/she apparently doesn't have a very extensive background as logic dictates a bad experience with one piece of equipment only rarely applies to an entire product line. As there isn't a similar Moto G bashing going on throughout the online community, to most this would indicate a problem with this particular phone.

Upvote 0
poor performance isn't normal for Android though, and most people don't have to regularly wipe their cache partition.

This is true. It is also true that you will probably do a Wipe Cache Partition once or twice a year.

In my case I do development on my phone and go through a lot of temporary data. I just wipe the slate clean every week. This is probably not typical.

So ... when it took 8 minutes to do it it was debatable ... when it takes 1 second to do it I don'lt think it is.

You get to choose ... ignore it ... it will gradually degrade performance ... eventually it will get so bad you will complain aboutg it ... then do a Wipe Cache Partition.
... or ...​
Do a periodic Wipe Cache Partiton and never have to think about it again.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones