• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone stolen and got this message with new android setup

zooberry

Lurker
Jun 3, 2014
phone was stolen - jellybean 4.3 right before i saw it last i was using google maps for street navigation - phone would have been screen pin locked at time of theft - about 5 minutes later .

I just bought new phone with kit kat version - and when first loading up google maps got this message:

" In a previous version of android you turned off the ability for google APPS to access your location . turn it back on for all google apps ?"

Forgive me but i don't understand the relationship of this process - can this new phone with a new sim replacement card know the state of my android settings in old phone at last point before i had it cancelled?

I am worried sick, because if so , it means the baddy was able to turn off location and access my phone apps - google account passwords were not changed for over an hour - none my email/social accounts were compromised.

using google device manager i was not able to ever contact device after theft i figured baddie just turned off power .

please help explain if you know how this works -Thanks !

It's possible, but unlikely that the baddie changed your settings unless you have a very easy to guess pin.

Most likely is that you had location services disabled in some part on the stolen phone. Those annoying little boxes that pop up asking if it's okay for this or that app to use your location will alter those settings depending whether you answered yes or no. Who can remember all the times you clicked "no" or "yes"?

So when you registered the new device, it was just Google asking you to turn on location services for all Google apps. It would have done the same thing if you simply bought a new phone.

Most likely it went down something like this. Baddie sees your shiny phone and swipes it. After getting to a safe place to check it out, they realize it's pin-locked and after trying "1-2-3-4" and "0-0-0-0" (it wasn't anything that easy, right? :eek:) they went ahead and reset it. Now it is not connected to your accounts at all.

I hope you reported it to your carrier so they can blacklist the imei/esn so that the baddie basically has a wi-fi only media player.

You've obviously changed all your passwords by now. I would monitor your accounts for a few weeks for unrecognized purchases or posts to social media that you haven't made. Just to be safe you might want to enable two-step verification.

If you see nothing unusual for a month or so, It's safe to say the baddie(s) didn't get anything but the device.

With any luck, they dropped on a cement sidewalk it while trying to unlock it. ;)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones