• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Storage is Full

It should.. that's what I used.. I blieve that it's listed in the how to root stickie in all things root...

To the guy with 108MB free?
HOW THE HELL did you do it..
I just did the Link 2 SD, and restored all my stuff.. and I'm still sitting with around 28MB free..
Edit: Cleared my cache and BOOM extra 20MB.. but still.. According to Titanium I have 119 apps, but still could only free up 40.46MB That's not exactly the Tracts of free space I had my fingers crossed for.

Always be spectacle of the android community and the internet,you are among a lot of BS artists,i also seen his post and i have done the same thing and not seeing this space either.

Upvote 0
I am the guy with the 108mb free (89.45mb currently). Did you read the Link2sd tutorial I posted? I'm fairly certain it is earlier in this thread.

I didn't think to take a screen shot right after linking.
snap20110517_004415.png

Currently:
snap20110519_234440.png

Upvote 0
After using Link2SD to create links for your apps of choice you then have to reboot your phone (turn it off - turn it on) for the links to work and to free up the memory. You will actually see your available memory going down if you are moving portions of apps from the sd card back to the phone, which you have to do before you can create a link. But after you reboot you will have more memory available. It does work.

You don't have to be "spectacle" of this.

BS Artist

Upvote 0
It should.. that's what I used.. I blieve that it's listed in the how to root stickie in all things root...

I just did the Link 2 SD, and restored all my stuff.. and I'm still sitting with around 28MB free..
Edit: Cleared my cache and BOOM extra 20MB.. but still.. According to Titanium I have 119 apps, but still could only free up 40.46MB That's not exactly the Tracts of free space I had my fingers crossed for.

For me, according to Titanium backup - Number of app data elements 269. Available internal phone storage memory on the phone 47.72 MB.

Upvote 0
What does this have to do with phone storage,oneclick works just fine,i also hear there is issues with that ROM,why take a chance on bricking the phone.
(a) it DOES have to do with ROOTing which is REQUIRED for most methods listed here for freeing up internal storage space

(b) it's even less likely to brick a phone than ANY of the other rooting methods

(c) it's NOT a ROM, it's an app crafted to escalate privileges for certain versions of Android

[EDIT]
...and here's a more local thread...
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/323890-gingerbreak.html

[/EDIT]

Upvote 0
however the thread HAS gone into rooting discussion and therefore this is relevant?

Do you actually have a point BTW or are you being intentionally obtuse?

precisely

Sorry you feel I am being deliberately obtuse in pointing out the the OP in the thread specifically asked for solutions that did not require root.

The fact that the thread deviated from this is irrelevant, and simply because a thread wanders off-topic does not mean I have to follow it like a lemming off a cliff--dig?

As to the post which claimed that rooting would not void the warranty on the phone--it absolutely *does* void the warranty. This may or may not be a concern to the OP or any others reading this for info, but we do need to make sure our information is accurate.

Upvote 0

Does this method put any higher portion of each of the apps to SD, than what "Move to SD card" in Settings --> Applications does? With "Move to SD card", it's always just a portion of the application that moves, sometimes less than 50%.

Been flirting with 15 MB remaining since week three of ownership. But would rather not root just yet.

Upvote 0
Does this method put any higher portion of each of the apps to SD, than what "Move to SD card" in Settings --> Applications does? With "Move to SD card", it's always just a portion of the application that moves, sometimes less than 50%.

Been flirting with 15 MB remaining since week three of ownership. But would rather not root just yet.

No, that method does not provide any more space than the stock move to sd card. What it does is allow more programs to be moved to sd card than you normally could. Some programs are "coded" to not allow you to move to SD since they might have a widget you could use (or some other reason) and this program "recodes" that installation to allow moving to SD.

Reactions: jj2me
Upvote 0
Sorry you feel I am being deliberately obtuse in pointing out the the OP in the thread specifically asked for solutions that did not require root.

The fact that the thread deviated from this is irrelevant, and simply because a thread wanders off-topic does not mean I have to follow it like a lemming off a cliff--dig?

As to the post which claimed that rooting would not void the warranty on the phone--it absolutely *does* void the warranty. This may or may not be a concern to the OP or any others reading this for info, but we do need to make sure our information is accurate.
gingerbreak has this handly little feature called UNROOT with none the wiser...

downloading an app with a cache clean function (or o.w. manually doing it, but I don't reeally recommend that way) will free up some space as well...

I've been nudging between 20-40MB free, but I haven't installed any new apps in a while and clear caches every so often, but I can see that the time for moving apps to uSD will be coming, possibly cache as well but I want to check into that a bit more first.

Ah, and so singling out my particular post was your way expressing displeasure with the moderation here then? Perhaps you should start PMing the mods/admin every time that a thread goes slightly offtopic, however in this case in the broader sense it is still ontopic as the best way to free space is actually to root, remove junk, and otherwise move as much as possible to uSD...

Upvote 0
Here is the tutorial I posted for Link2sd with a link to the method I used to root.

I can confirm that this works and... Thanks!
I had this thought last night- and knew someone out there had to have done this......

Works flawlessly. I haven't even tweaked it yet and my results are:
Before 11 MB free
After: 112 MB free

:D FWIW moving Google Maps is do able!

I'm veryyyyy happy... At least until the Triumph is released and in my hands. heheh

Edited to change "after" amount above... User apps that I left on the phone memory: ADW Launcher, Beautiful Widgets, Link2SD, Silent Boot, and Superuser.............

Upvote 0
I took the plunge and rooted following the one procedure linked from this thread. It worked great and I have a ton of free space now. But in the past couple of days, had to reboot phone twice and it is now taking 3-5 minutes just to boot to the main screen... then time for the SD card preparing, etc.

Are others seeing that?

Upvote 0
I took the plunge and rooted following the one procedure linked from this thread. It worked great and I have a ton of free space now. But in the past couple of days, had to reboot phone twice and it is now taking 3-5 minutes just to boot to the main screen... then time for the SD card preparing, etc.

Are others seeing that?

I have noticed this on both my rooted phone and my brothers non rooted phone. I think that it is just due to the amount of apps I have on my SD card.

Upvote 0

Are others seeing that?
Yes, my phone takes a long time to boot. It did not start immediately after rooting but I think it got longer after I moved more apps to the SD card using Links2SD. It may be initializing all those links each time it boots?? Or maybe it is just a function of having more apps since rooting allowed me to load more apps.

Upvote 0
Yes, my phone takes a long time to boot. It did not start immediately after rooting but I think it got longer after I moved more apps to the SD card using Links2SD. It may be initializing all those links each time it boots?? Or maybe it is just a function of having more apps since rooting allowed me to load more apps.

The apps I have linked are available for me to use instantly after booting. It's the ones that I have on the SD card normally take a while to load up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones