• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone stuck on "Bootloader" screen. No clue what to do.

docpan

Lurker
Dec 11, 2010
I simply went to install the 2.2.1 OTA update from the system update menu on the phone. As it was installing, at some point, it completely screwed up.

Now, all I see is a black DOS-looking screen with "Bootloader" written at the top, and no amount of battery pulls or hard resets do a damn bit of good.

I seem to have located the official 2.2 ROM here, so I'd like to try and manually re-install the update.

However, I don't know how to do it. When I plug the device in, the computer recognizes a USB is in, but other than that I can't access the data on the phone as a drive from My Computer.

In other words, I have no clue what I'm doing. The phone is brand new-- just over 30 days old, and all Verizon will offer me is a refurb unit.

The point is this phone isn't broken! Am I absolutely boned here, or is there anything I can do?

What you want is to download the 2.2.1 SBF file that TeamBlackHat released. You can try using that to recover your phone.

The update.zip that you found won't help, because you're in the bootloader, not the recovery screen. You need to use the SBF.

The Root forum has a sticky thread at the top that has multiple guides for installing the SBF on your phone.

Upvote 0
That would be advice for someone who doesn't want an ota upgrade. I'd take your phone into the Verizon store for tech support (corporate store) or call them and they'll mail you another one.

Maybe, but these don't sound like the comments of someone who wants to visit Verizon, and all they'll mail him is a refurb.

I seem to have located the official 2.2 ROM here, so I'd like to try and manually re-install the update.
<snip>
The phone is brand new-- just over 30 days old, and all Verizon will offer me is a refurb unit.
<snip>
The point is this phone isn't broken! Am I absolutely boned here, or is there anything I can do?

Given the simplicity of the guide, the relative ease of giving it a try, and the fact that he can literally do nothing to make the phone worse (even a borked SBF will only result in it re-booting into the bootloader), it's pretty much a no-lose situation to try and fix it at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones