• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone stuck on PIN/Emergency Call Only screen

Cam

Android Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2011
Shreveport, LA
I tried search and didn't come up with anything to help.

My wife's VZW GNex is mysteriously stuck on a slate-grey PIN lock-screen that will allow emergency outgoing calls only. The phone allows incoming calls, and the notification bar is present and normal.

The problem is that she never set up a PIN on this phone, so we have no clue what to enter at the PIN unlock screen. This seems to have occurred spontaneously and inexplicably, and I've never seen this on any of our Android devices.

Here's what I tried to no avail:

1. Reboot
2. Battery pull
3. SIM pull
4. Various PIN combinations, including the last 4 of her phone number, the last 4 of her account number, her voice mail PIN, and the default SIM PIN number 1111.

Details about her device:
VZW Galaxy Nexus
Stock/Official ICS 4.0.4 (locked bootloader, not rooted, stock kernel)
Device has performed flawlessly until this morning

Any ideas out there?

My first thought on this was a bad SIM card, but I figured I'd see if any of you know how to fix this easily before I take my wife's phone over to our local VZW store

Edit: However, the "No SIM card" error message isn't present and there is no "no SIM card" icon on the notification bar, so maybe the SIM card isn't the issue...? *sigh*

If she'd let me I'd just wipe, unlock, root, and ROM this thing, but she doesn't want me messing with her phone. Go figure...

Upvote 0
She's adamant that she never set a PIN on this thing. If the issue was that she set a PIN a long time ago I'd just wipe/factory reset and press on. However, I'm not sure that will even work.

She had all security settings turned off. No pattern, no pin, no face unlock, nothing. She had it set such that when you powered the phone on or woke it up it went straight to her home screen. That's what's so weird about this to me.

Upvote 0
I believe if you enter an incorrect PIN enough times it will ask you for the gmail account and password or something similar. I do believe there is a fail safe to unlock it with the account if you try enough times, but I'm not for sure what it is.

Also I found this in another forum:

Just used the new paid version of Screen Lock Bypass called Screen Lock Bypass Pro. It was $2.00 and it worked flawlessly! No need to reset the phone once you're in!! I give it 5 stars. You just download it from the market from your pc and once it installs on your phone, plug in your charger and poof! It takes you to a screen to manage/reset your password.

Seems like it's worth a shot since you and push apps from the market on your PC.

Reactions: Cam
Upvote 0
She's adamant that she never set a PIN on this thing. If the issue was that she set a PIN a long time ago I'd just wipe/factory reset and press on. However, I'm not sure that will even work.

She had all security settings turned off. No pattern, no pin, no face unlock, nothing. She had it set such that when you powered the phone on or woke it up it went straight to her home screen. That's what's so weird about this to me.

I think I had something similar happened and it required something that needed to be done via verizon's website. I remember finding the solution here. I'll see if I can find it.

update: found the thread:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/464450-puk-code-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

Basically, I follow this guy's direction and unlocked my phone.

I know its a little late to solve the OP's problem, but for those that might stumble across this thread. Login to My Verizon on vzw.com, then go to My Verizon > My Device. The bottom option to the right of the phone picture should be "Unlock SIM (PUK) Now". Clicking through should give you the unlock code for your SIM.

Reactions: Cam
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones