Phone suddenly turns off?Support

Last Updated:

1. twitchingzombies

twitchingzombies Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,

I'm new to the android world and just got my moment this week. I love it and its a great phone but I've been getting this problem lately. The phone will suddenly power off by itself or something like that and it won't turn off unless I take the battery out and put it back on. It is getting really frustrating having to this a few times a day, so some help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

Mine was doing that... I'm not sure if it's something I installed. I got it exchanged for a few issues though... so far so good with the new one. I'm not convinced it actually shut down... in theory it could have blanked the screen and notification lights and turned off any external sensors to turn anything back on... hence why the battery needed to be pulled to turn it on again.

3. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

I had this problem i did a factory reset and everything was fine after that was about a month ago i believe it was from a app i installed

4. twitchingzombies

twitchingzombies Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the reply. so all i have to do is do a factory reset? and when i do a factory reset do i lose all my contacts?

5. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

No, contacts are saved and synced to your google account.

6. xsx304

xsx304 Member

have this problem on both my momments one with apps, the other with non.

7. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Make sure the cover is on properly and snug. If it's not on snug the battery could shake loose and cause the phone to power off.

I looked at a girl's LG Dare, which has a similar type of battery cover, and I could see that she crammed the cover on, which caused a couple of the battery cover notches to fold in on itself, thus not securing the cover properly. Her phone would turn off randomly because the cover was not secure.

Most people don't pay careful attention to details like that, so little things like that could easily cause problems. I hate the battery cover design but I'm very careful when snapping it back on so it hasn't caused me issues.

8. xsx304

xsx304 Member

oh its on nice and tight, all its doing is sitting there when this happens. no movement whatso ever.

9. justpastfinish

justpastfinish Well-Known Member

Same problem here. And when it does it at night, it stops taking a charge, atleast on mine. Will be exchanging it today.

10. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

my first one did this twice, and I'm not convinced that it was actually turned off. it's possible that some app was crashing it while it was asleep, causing the buttons and screen to not respond... therefore the battery needed to be pulled to actually get it turned off so it could go back on.

11. njbianco

Thats exactly what my conclusion was when i had these problems over a month I ended up doing a factory reset and haven't had a problem since

12. ldpm

ldpm New Member

I'm having this issue with my Samsung moment. It started after I changed a setting in Google Voice, so I've changed it back, but have still had the problem. It now seems to be shutting itself off (or blanking the screen and all keys, as theorized) after being idle for only a few minutes at a time. Factory reset, here I come, but does anyone have any idea what app or apps might be causing this, so I don't install them again?

13. FabFem

FabFem New Member

Did any of you have your alarm clock set when the phone turned off and wouldn't turn back on without pulling the battery? My phone did this today while I had the alarm set, and the alarm--of course--didn't go off. I am still within my 30 day return/exchange period and am trying to figure out if I need to exchange this phone.

14. njbianco

I don't believe it has anything to do with the alarm i use the alarm every morning

15. snuckles

snuckles Member

Mine is doing this right now as well. How do you perform a factory reset? Thanks.

16. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I was having this problem a few weeks ago, right after I installed locale onto my phone. So I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and the problem hasnt happened since.
    I think it may have something to do with Locale checking the situation while the phone is 'asleep' and then crashing/freezing the phone.

17. Musicalprodigy623

Musicalprodigy623 New Member

Mine is doing this too. And my theory is that it is either some apps or the CL14 update.
    Mine started last week. :( It was working and then it blanked out and the screen turned dark and I had to pull the battery, then, it happened once every 2 - 4 days, then today, it's frozen at the Samsung Logo at the startup screen. - I didn't even restart it, it did by itself. Here are some of the apps I remember having (I can't look because it's frozen): Handcent SMS, Schottgun, Google Sky Maps, Google Translate, PandaHome, PandaHome Hero Theme, Meebo IM, Facebook Mobile, MySpace Mobile, Opera Mini, Mabilo Ringtones, Ringo Lite, Funny Jokes, Backgrounds, G-Strings, Guitar Solo Lite, Dog Whistler.

There's a lot more but I can't remember.

18. Musicalprodigy623

Musicalprodigy623 New Member

I do not know what happened, but last week, the sudden turning off escalated into a boot loop. (Where it keeps resetting over and over without actually turning on all the way. Just stuck at the SAMSUNG green logo.) After a factory reset that was cured but it's still shutting off! I've reduced my apps to: Where's My Droid?, Steamy Window, Ringo Lite, Opera Mini 5, Handcent SMS, Advanced Task Manager, and FX Camera. Also I think the only times mine shuts off is when it's on vibrate!

19. momentandroid

momentandroid Well-Known Member

this has been happening to me for a while. i went to sprint and they factory reseted it. still happening. call *2 and they did some kind of profile update. still happening. im going to take it back to the sprint while its off like that and try to get a new phone or something.:mad:

edit: went to sprint, replacement coming thursday! lets hope this works

20. alankeno

alankeno Member

Mine, and my wife's started this within the last month or so. I'm thinking it's an app we both have, but don't have a clue as to which one. I'm thinking of factory reset back to the 2.1 upgrade and only reinstalling the apps I use at least once a week.
    Does anyone have a method of capturing your installed app list?

TIA,
    Alan

21. MikeA

MikeA New Member

My Moment began locking up 2x per day recently. The only way to restart was to remove the battery. I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere so I wanted to post my findings.

I had Advanced Task Killer (aka ATK) set to automatically kill everything every 30 min. I tried reducing the settings to safe and back to manual kill, but to no avail. Then I came across this article http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html, as well as others, and uninstalled ATK v1.9.3. My phone hasn't locked up in 3 days and battery life seems similar to when I constantly 'killed' apps. I'm running Android v2.1.

See if that helps.

22. alankeno

alankeno Member

Hey MikeA,
    TY for the reply. I too have ATK installed and will uninstall as a test.
    I noticed that when I uninstalled an app called TIKL touch to talk the shutdowns ceased.
    Might be a coincidence....we'll see.

Cheers,
    Alankeno

23. Chippa

Chippa Member

Thanks!

My phone cut off 4 times yesterday, so I uninstalled ATK. Today, no times (fingers crossed).

24. alankeno

alankeno Member

Trying a different task manager. So far so good.

Alankeno