Phone switching from 2G to 3G randomlyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. axlastro

axlastro Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I don't use 3G all the time so I uncheck it in the networks options.
    When I go back to the network options after some time sometimes I see it has changed back to 3g again. Anyone having the same issue? I don't want to wipe just because of that small issue...Couls it be some app I have installed? Any way to change that directli from console?

Rc33, JF 1.42 with apps on SD.
    Firmware 1.1
    Baseband version : 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.28

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Not sure if this is a side-effect of your JF ?... but that is a possibility !

I think any app has access to those system option-Flags ... so unless you can track it down to a specific app I dont think there is a fix ...

I know that google did some changes to the OS from the last update ... (to help with battery) ... in that say ... An app needs GPS .. It is turned on ... When app has finished using/calling on GPS ... then the OS turns GPS back off.

This is not the situation with 3G ... so if you mark use 2G networks ... most apps probably dont look at what type of data service you have ... and just use what it has .... It sounds like you have an app the is demanding 3G and it therefore is setting it ON when the app is run ...

The dev should have recorded the starting state... and return it to that state upon exit ...

If you can find the offending app ... then email the Developer and request this fix ...

3. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

go to the market download and install this app : Cyrket - Log Collector .... Once the app is in run it the next time the 2G/3G issue you are having happens... email the log to yourself and you should be able to see what app if any or any other issue that is causing it in your log... once you know what the cause is we can be more helpful in finding you a solution....

4. axlastro

Thanks. I will try this log thing. However, I also notice that some of the settings like "audible selection" sounds and the 2g/3g are being reset upon reboot. Could it be a problem with root and something like that - like some system setting files being read only for some reason? Any idea of console commands that can determine the type of gsm band being used to tell for sure if 2g/3g is turned off. Too bad there isn't status bar indicator like in WM. I guees the phone is meant to be used with 3g.

5. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Honestly man from what you are describing it is hard to determine what problems you may have if any... since you indicate that everything works but changes only when the phone is at rest or rebooted this does happen... in order for me to tell or even suggest what to do I would have to see what's happening under the hood so to speak... run the log collector go all the way to the bottom and scroll up until you see the point your phone was rebooted from there you should get a decent read on things from where and when they are happening..

6. axlastro

I'm having trouble with the log collector. It doesn't seem to email anything. It says "Waiting for sync, your e-mail will apear shortly" and nothing happens.
    I use Wi-fi connection? Maybe it requires 3g internet connection or semething else enabled that I have missed...