Phone thinks I am abroad

Last Updated:

1. Geckoguy

Geckoguy New Member This Topic's Starter

I bought an unlocked htc desire put my sim in and everything seemed rosy, but i just found out it's charging me as if i was in a foreign country. Has this happened to anyone or can someone give me a hand.

Advertisement
  2. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

do you have any more information?

where are you based?

are we talking data usage here or call/text issues?

3. Geckoguy

Sorry, i am in a village in hampshire, reception is not great and sometimes reads as no service. Using my old pay as you go sim from my n70. I was sent the texts saying the eu service charges and sent a text and then checked my credit and saw that it was not coming out of my bonus from topping up and i was being charged eu rates.

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Sounds like somehow you are roaming on another network. If you go into settings --> wireless & networks --> mobile networks what does it say in there??? Looks like you can manually set a preferred network.

5. Geckoguy

ah, i turned off mobile network because i didnt want it to use 3g internet and so cost me lots of money, would that have made it think it was abroad?

6. nacatomi

not sure about that one but i don't think it should... does it definitely say its on the network it should be on? also do you ever get an R next to the signal bars.. Would be useful to know its its calls\texts or data you are being charged for.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Because your on 3 with no 3g so are using Orange

8. nacatomi

Yeah.. I knew that thanks, I get roaming when I'm in a certain part of our building so looked that up when I first got my desire. Just wondered if the OP was getting the same issue cos he mentioned signal probs.

9. carrtim1

carrtim1 Member

I noticed this the other week. I was sat in the pub and happened to look at my phone and there was an R showing. It will still showing on the 3 network.

I unticked the data roaming option and it went. I never got charged any extra though so no idea what was going on there. Even if it went onto Orange/T-Mobile nutwork it shouldn't show as roaming unless things have changed in the past couple of months.

10. nacatomi

I have it unticked too. 3 & Orabile have a roaming agreement set up as 3 is a 3G only network, if you go to an area with a very bad 3 signal it will switch switch networks onto a 2G only connection which you can uses for calls\texts until you are in a 3 coverage area again. My thought would be that if the OP is not on a network that has a roaming agreement (either 3G or 2G) then he couls be getting charged as if he were abroad i.e. a UK O2 user with no signal managing to roam onto the UK Vodafone network. Not saying this to be true but just a suggestion.