• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone thinks it's charging and wont come on, please help...

mamamikes

Dec 3, 2011
I haven't even had my Admire a month yet and it started thinking it's charging today. When i turn phone off and try to turn back on, it wont come on. A battery pops ups like its charging and then quickly goes away. I have to plug in my phone and let it charge for a few seconds in order to get it to turn on. The phone isn't completely dead, says 87% but still wont come on until i plug it in. Does anyone know what the prob is and how i can fix it?

I just had this problem myself and tried almost everything suggested online to no avail (clean miniUSB port, take out battery etc, etc). Only had Admire for barely two months. Anyway, problem started suddenly and went on for several days- constantly beeping and saying it was charging when not plugged in. Called Samsung and they said before exchanging the phone to perform a FACTORY DATA RESET. Said it may or may not work depending on what caused your problem. This will reset phone to the original settings when you got the phone. You will need to reload all applications you initially loaded when you got the phone. THIS TOTALLY HAS CLEARED UP MY PROBLEM! Phone is great now. Here’s what I THINK happened with me: I was totally paranoid about letting my phone charge down and was constantly charging my phone – at home, in the car to and from work; and at work! Crazy. Also, I was using 2 other chargers that DIDN’T come with my phone. Suggest only using the Charger that comes with your phone. This is just my guess after discussing with Samsung. Samsung tech was great by the way.
Here’s instructions:
1. Remove SD card first. To do this: Be at your main screen. Press MENU key (bottom left key); hit SETTINGS, then STORAGE, then UNMOUNT SD CARD, then OK. Remove your SD card (open the access “door” on bottom left side of phone (says MICRO on it) – to remove card push it IN and it will pop OUT! J)
2. Make sure you have your CONTACTS backed up (like into Yahoo or Gmail where you can sync them back later). Make sure you back up whatever else you need. Didn’t have a lot on my phone, but I WROTE DOWN APPS AND PHONE SETTINGS: wanted to remember to set back the way I had them. It will be important for you to remember to after the reset to reload an ANTIVIRUS app and a TASK KILLER app!
3. Perform Factory Data Reset: press MENU key, then SETTINGS; PRIVACY; FACTORY DATA RESET. I think it then says “are you sure” – answer yes and follow any prompts. Didn’t take that long. Phone will do its thing resetting.
4. Once your phone is back on – remount SD CARD. Follow instructions as in #1 above, except it will now say to MOUNT SD CARD or something like that.
5. Remember to reload an ANTIVIRUS app and a TASK KILLER app, any other apps; to resync your Contacts and reset your phone settings to the way you prefer. I was told if you purchased apps they will still be available for you to reload – didn’t have any bought apps myself so can’t confirm.
I sure hopes this helps at least someone, because I thought I was going to lose my mind there for several days! I’m happy I tried this before going through all the trouble of returning/exchanging my phone. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I just had this problem myself and tried almost everything suggested online to no avail (clean miniUSB port, take out battery etc, etc). Only had Admire for barely two months. Anyway, problem started suddenly and went on for several days- constantly beeping and saying it was charging when not plugged in. Called Samsung and they said before exchanging the phone to perform a FACTORY DATA RESET. Said it may or may not work depending on what caused your problem. This will reset phone to the original settings when you got the phone. You will need to reload all applications you initially loaded when you got the phone. THIS TOTALLY HAS CLEARED UP MY PROBLEM! Phone is great now. Here

Upvote 0
i did this and it still didn't work for me. my phone keeps thinking its charging my battery is getting fat now. and i rebooted my phone too

Battery is getting fat??? 0.o that doesn't sound good.....

Yes, I would absolutely get a new battery if that was not a typo

Ya, I completely agree, that is not good.

I used to be a Blackberry admin at work and saw several bulged (fat) batteries. I always trashed them.

I actually had one explode in front of me. Not a good thing. Battery fluid all over my desk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones