phone too big?General

1. ltmays

ltmays Well-Known Member

Right now i have a iphone 4 and i ordered a iphone 5s but its going to be about 2 weeks before it even processes.

But i really like the androids and want a galaxy because you can customize, take out the battery, and my favorite feature is having contact photos next to your messages & your contacts photo pops up when they text you and your screens locked.

But the phone is too dam big for me. Holding the S4 is like wielding a 2handed sword.
    Does anyone think this? i never held one, just the S3 which is actually a bit smaller.

Also, does the galaxy s4 have a shitty saturated screen? I had the S3 for 3 days and the colors on the screen wore horrible compared to my bright iphone so i got rid of it.

How long is the charge time? My s3 took like 5-8 hours depending on if i was using it or had it off

Advertisement
  2. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

To big - No, it's the biggest phone I've had and don't think i'd want anything bigger but I like the size.

Saturated screen - No, looks great.

Charge time - seems like a 2 to 3 hours. Plug it in just about every night though.
  3. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Too big? That's relative. If you're used to an iPhone, then you may initially find it to feel pretty large. But, as with most, you'll get used to it. Maybe even love the size. I can't stand the tiny screen on the iPhone now, but I used to think the 4" screens were HUGE coming from my HTC Eris (3.2").

The screen is slightly saturated according to most reviews, but (and here's the key) it is adjustable and dynamic. You can tone it down or up to your liking. Don't think the iPhone can do that.
    Most people seem to think it is an amazing display. Also pretty subjective depending on what you're looking for. The iPhone displays are considered by some to be low resolution in today's world. It's hard to compete with the rediculously high res screens coming on Android phones today. The S4 has a better display IMHO than any other I have seen.

Charge time? Depends on if it is being used, powered on or off, and what charger you're using. Being a universal micro-usb port for charging, I end up using other peoples chargers. Many of which are rated to charge at different amperages.
    Never really timed it though.
  4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

the s4 feels smaller than the s3, the size is almost exact but it is lighter and thinner. so to put it simply, no i dont think its too big, no i dont think it feel like im using a 2 handed sword. and really if you want any good idea on how it feels, go pick one up, im sure they are on display at ever carrier store and electronics store
  5. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member

Dimensionally the s4 is actually smaller than the s3 in everything bar screen size.....you do get used to it, I've got tiny hands but love the screen(couldn't picture having anything bigger, but then I thought that with the s2!)
  6. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

Coming from the delightful GN2 (which was beautiful but too large to be my daily driver), I find the GS4 to be right sized. Especially compared to the 3 iPhone 5's in the family which are too small (display) but do fit nicely in the hand.

Too big is a very relative term. ;)
  7. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Neither my wife or I find the S4 too big. The main place size is an issue for me is my belt clip, and even there it's not too big (that was a concern).
  8. ltmays

ltmays Well-Known Member

i've never held one so i dont know.

But i might get it over the iPhone 5s im not sure. You can do some much customization with the galaxy and i love it displaying contact photos by messages.
  9. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

The main reason to get the 5s would be for the fingerprint sensor. Other than that it's a fairly ordinary phone. The S4 offers a lot more hardware technology.

That said, beware that most of the software features Samsung advertises are IMHO rather disappointing. Consider a Google Edition if you can afford it (and have the right carrier). I'm very happy with the S4 but I'm glad I bought it for the hardware and not the software. If I'd bought it for the software I'd probably be pissed.
  10. ltmays

ltmays Well-Known Member

The only problem i have with the galaxy is when i had the galaxy s3 the colors were pretty saturated and not accurate. And their camera photos seem to have a bit of a blur, the iphone has sharper pictures.

Thats why i asked does the camera quality still look saturated. But it only looks like that on the phone, viewing the photos on PC shows the original color.

Also when i had my S3 i had on a red hat and i tended to get grayish areas in the picture im not sure why.
  11. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

This doesn't quite make sense.

It is true that the colours on Samsung screens do tend to be over-saturated (although this can be adjusted to suit the user) but that makes colours look more not less bright.

Over-saturated means colours look brighter and more vivid than they actually are.

I have an S4 and an iPhone 5 (not the s) and I much prefer the screen on the S4, but that is really a matter of personal taste. Don't forget though, this can be adjusted on the S4 if you don't like the default.

For what it's worth (and I would readily concede that it's not worth much), I much prefer my S4 to my iPhone 5, which is a decent phone but just a bit boring.
  12. WalkaboutDavid

WalkaboutDavid Well-Known Member

If size is an issue,a Moto X might be a better pick. Really small and handles well.

Size is ideal for me though. Love it!
  13. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

the only problem i have with the moto x is that it is a dual core, 720p phone that costs $200. if it were $100 on contract it would be fine, but in the age of quad core 1080p phones, i cant recommend it for more than $100
  14. TheAtheistReverend

The Moto x will drop to $100 in a month I bet. If nowhere else, then wirefly or Costco.
  15. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

I thought a SGSII was going to be too big, it wasn't. I thought a Note was going to be too big, now I would like one. My daughter's Ipod (4th generation) touch is horrible, the stock keyboard is far too small.

Really it's subjective, a big phone or "phablet" might take some getting used to, but once you do you won't go back.
  16. speedlever

I would disagree with this. See post 6 above.
  17. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

That's OK. It's all subjective. :)

There isn't a definite answer, there can't be. A mate at work has a GN2. He thought it was "too big", but has changed his mind and gotten used to it. Our iPhone 5 owning Apple "enthusiast" (being polite - it's a family forum) at work hates it, says it's a "daft" size.

The only advice worth giving is "try before you buy", and even then some might get used to having seemingly endless screen estate.
  18. speedlever

Agreed!
  19. Nick33

Nick33 Well-Known Member

I thought the phone was HUGE at first, but having it for a little bit, i find it to be the perfect size. In fact, i would even go bigger now. Like note size.
    So i honestly think you'll enjoy it, but like most have said already, it's preference
  20. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

S3 and S4 are actually same size the S4 bezel is smaller which is why it looks bigger than the S3. In addition the S4 is not actually that big when you get to use it for a little. I would recommend it greatly if you think you may enjoy the jump from iOS!
  21. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Most people get used to the size of the phone pretty easily and come to enjoy a larger screen. I'm willing to bet that the next iPhone will have a larger size option. If I was buying a new phone next month, guess what? I'd probably buy the Samsung Note 3 and this is coming from a guy, who a year ago, said there is no way I would buy such a big Phone. Now if I can convince my son that he really wants a black S4 instead of a white one, I'd give him my one month old phone and get the Note 3. Now that's huge lol.
  22. ltmays

ltmays Well-Known Member

the camera is really the only thing i dislike...

pictures seem to look more CMYK. (this was withm my s3)
    For example, red looks very faded its not bright like the iphone i hate that.

Also for such a good camera, they have a bit of a blur, its not as sharp for detail as a iphone.
  23. TheAtheistReverend

I'm not sure where you are getting this. The camera on my S4 performs very well. No blue. Great color.
    The always important evidence:
    Camera Comparison: LG G2 vs Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, HTC One
  24. ltmays

ltmays Well-Known Member

if you look at photos and side by side comparisons the iphone always has better lighting.
  25. WalkaboutDavid

WalkaboutDavid Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in all the benchmark tests, the Moto X does about as well (and even better) then the S4 and the HTC One.