Phone Turned Itself OffSupport

Last Updated:

1. msc43283

msc43283 Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Optimus S about a week or so. I plugged it into the factory charger last night and set the alarm on it like I've been doing since I got it. I woke up 30 minutes late today because the alarm didn't go off. Pick up the phone and the phone is off. I was able to just power it up with the power button. I read on the Sprint Forums where a few others have had this happen, but they had to do a battery pull to turn it back on. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what would cause it, software, hardware problem?

Advertisement
  2. c4manceph

c4manceph Member

I would like to know why the alarm is disabled when the phone is turned off. This is the first phone that I can remember owning that I can't turn off and still have the alarm sound.

3. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind Member

Similar stuff happening here, only worse. Phone is working perfectly fine one minute, I put out in my pocket, take it outa a few minutes later, and it won't wake up! Hour the power button, hit the home button, no response. I can't even tell if it's still on! I p
    ull the battery, and boot up again, but I have no way to figure out what the heck happened.

4. roadster

roadster Well-Known Member

mine randomally treboots, going back, and will not re-order to a later date, reasons they normally send me a refurb. I will reactivate my old one, I can live with it, its much louder and minimal issues. Wealready own a good LG. I preferre a keyboard outsie just me (mixed emotions, attimes) (when getting older you get that waay)

5. SandersJC64

SandersJC64 Well-Known Member

Open the Clock application and click on the alarm clock icon. When in Alarms, click Menu>Settings, and make sure that the box next to Alarm in silent mode is checked. Then your alarm will sound regardless of the sounds state of your phone.

6. Ma}{imus

Ma}{imus Well-Known Member

I had similar issues with my optimus and had replaced. In conjunction with the random restarts and freezing I also had issues with my sd card. With my new optimus I got a new class 4 sd card and formatted it on my pc (not quick format) after the sd issues and freezing started up again and it's running like a charm.

7. feigndeaf

feigndeaf Active Member

I am having ALL of the same problems. Plugged it into the charger ... worked for a few minutes, when I came back...phone was dead. It randomly reboots while sitting on my desk. Two days ago I was playing angry birds with around 90% batt and it just shut off. Would not respond to any buttons or charger. I happened to be a the mall so I walked over to the Sprint Store and they pulled the battery and it turned back on.

This is HS. Just saying. Sprint keeps denying any issues when I call or go to the store. They treat me like I'm crazy and say they have not heard of anyone having issues.

I do not have stock sd card in it either. That was the first thing I replaced. I text, email, angry birds here and there and use web when looking for something in a pinch and I can't get a full day out of the battery. Yesterday I unplugged it from the charger at 7:30am, didn't use it all day except for returning about 5 text messages and played AB for 10 minutes and it was completely dead by 6pm.

8. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

I have one app that has caused reboots/lockups (it's known to have issues) but I've been fortunate outside of that.

My guess (but it's only a guess) would be that the instability is due to SD card issues. Angry birds gets installed to the SD card by default so if the SD card unmounts while you are playing I'm guessing that would wreak all kinds of havoc.

The battery life described just doesn't make any sense to me at all... sounds like you either have a rogue app, you are spending a lot of time in a low signal area or you just plain have a bad phone. After 16 hours I am typically at 60% on a low use day. The only time I've seen that kind of battery life is when I was in a low signal area.

9. feigndeaf

feigndeaf Active Member

It's not the SD Card. Since I purchased a new one, I've had absolutely no issues with it unmounting and I've had the new SD card in it for a month. I've done absolutely nothing different...actually use it LESS now that the initial *oooh new toy* has worn off and all of these issues I am having are new within the last 2 weeks.

The only thing that has been ongoing is the crappy battery life. I am constantly in a low signal area...my home. I only have 2 bars at home. I found that my wi-fi uses less than the 3g, so I keep the wi-fi on at home. I don't really use any of my apps and they are all turned off sync.

Here's my apps:
    Adobe Reader
    Gmail
    Yahoo Mail
    Kindle
    Angry Birds
    Astrid Tasks
    Chase
    Facebook
    Flash Notify Settings
    Google Sky
    Nook
    Open Sudoku
    Pandora
    Quick Settings
    Retro Camera
    TV Guide
    Wordpress

None of which I really use...If I'm out of the house I might use Facebook one or twice, Angry Birds 10-20m a day...but other than that it's just a few text messages and emails.

I got better battery use when I was abusing the phone listening to music and playing angry birds all day than I do with it sitting on my desk. I barely used my phone today...2 texts, 5 minutes of email app and 5 minutes of angry birds the rest of the time it was in my bag. It's been off the charger for 7 hours and i'm at 50%.

10. Ma}{imus

Ma}{imus Well-Known Member

What class of sd card did you purchase? It doesn't matter if it's new if you bought another class 2 card.