phone turning off

Last Updated:

1. masterkui

masterkui Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

today my desire for the first time turned off by itself. it happened while the mobile internet was turned on and i was trying to load a youtube video. the phone just turned off. i turned it back on, and it turned off again. i managed to turn off the mobile internet, and the problem stopped. i tried watching the same youtube vid via wireless and the problem never happened. i then tried using google navigator with the mobile internet on and phone turned off once again.

thing is i have had the phone for 2-3 months and this has never happened before. this morning my phone updated 3 apps, "quick settings", "advance task killer" and "google maps". could these updates be the source of the problem? o2 said to try the sim in another phone and rule out a network fault. still need to get round to doing that.

anybody had similar problems?

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Mine only forcably turns itself off if the battery's about to go, obvious but is the battery on a low charge or maybe its even developed a fault.

3. DUFFBEER30

DUFFBEER30 Member

Yes i have had mine 8 weeks and it started doing that every so often then 3 weeks ago it done it quite often in the one night and I was getting a bit worried about it then like you said when using the internet it done it again only for it to never switch back on and I was left with a pink circle in the middle of the screen. Its now been repaired and should be on its way back to me but 3 weeks for repair is quite poor customer service. Hope your doesnt do the same the main board has had to be replaced in my fone.
    Cheers
    Ellen :confused:

4. masterkui

hi,

thanks for the replies, battery was close to being fully charged when it happened. and for some reason only happens while trying to do anything with the mobile internet not wi fi. very odd. hopefully it wont need repair, but will have to wait and see.

5. DUFFBEER30

DUFFBEER30 Member

well unfortunately my fone isnt on the way back to me as its failed the repair test looks like I might be really jumping up and down now demanding a new fone :mad:

6. masterkui

i followed o2's instructions, tried the sim in another phone, restored back to factory default, updated a few things, but problem persisted. it also turned off with the wi fi on as well, but no where near as frequently as with the mobile internet. i spoke to o2 again and they have arranged the phone to be collected for repair. annoying but it has to be done i guess.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It might be a real problem with the phone, but....

task killers cause the phone to restart if not used correctly, may I ask how you are using the task killer? Do you ignore any apps or just kill everything?

8. marc 1975

marc 1975 Active Member

i had this problem my phone got hot quick and turned off... i reset it done everything i did not have task killer!!! phoned orange and the very next day they sent me a replacement... my desire works a treat now well happy but slightely worried if this could be a problem!

9. DUFFBEER30

DUFFBEER30 Member

Yes the night my fone crashed it was also very hot before it switched itself off.
    Hopefully I will get a replacement fone this week after 3 weeks without it I have forgot how to work it again.:(

10. missppizza

missppizza New Member

My phone is driving me crazy I have tired everything but a reset and it won't stay on long enough to do that. Switches off every few seconds.

11. djliveasy

djliveasy Active Member

i had this problem, it drove me mad everytime i went on the net, its a motherboard problem overheating, dont bother doin factory resets or anythin like it wont help. get it back to HTC or contact your provider. it is a common problem that HTC no about and they will sort it out, i delt with HTC directly myself and had the phone back within 6days all sorted been fine since. hope this helps

12. sedo

sedo New Member

djliveasy, could you explain your process of dealing with HTC directly please. I am experiencing the same problem, and they are asking about 20 dollars from me plus a few weeks which I find to be ridiculous. Any advice would be great!

13. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

Sedo: This should be covered by your factory warranty, and so completely free for you. It is a very well-known issue. I've had to change the mother board as well, due to over heating.

14. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

It sounds as though this could be the rebooting problem or something very similar to it. Coincidentally, I actually received my Desire back this morning after having it repaired due to this very problem.

If your phone is under warranty, it can be repaired for free. Contact HTC directly or go through your network if you're on a contract.

15. Crystal2008

Crystal2008 New Member

Mmm my phone isnt 24 hours old yet and its turned itself off 4 times in the past 20 minutes, off back to the o2 shop I go......I have 14 days to change my mind lol

16. cazlex

cazlex New Member

Hi!
    I have the same prob too!
    But that is after I root and flash to LEEDROID ROM.

Phone will vibrate once and auto shut down at times.
    It happens very randomly. i.e when i am playing games or while i surfing on IE.

Any help?

17. Crystal2008

Crystal2008 New Member

They just swapped the phone no questions asked, well apart from the obvious 'are you sure it didnt just go to sleep?' haha