• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone unlocked, sim recognized, Won't connect to network

tjw101

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Hi everyone.

I've been having problems with my S3 (GT-I9300, Android 4.2.2) since returning to England.

Essentially it won't recognise uk sim cards but the kicker is that the phone does not appear to be locked.

I've tried taking it to the phone store, spent a good amount of time on the phone to the service provider (Orange) who like to hang up when they don't know the answer to something, and searched the web extensively - to no avail so far.

Hoping someone can help me. Here is what I know so far:

* The sim card works in other handsets - both UK original and internationally bought ones
* The S3 worked fine in India (with Indian Sim card) and in Thailand with the UK sim card that now won't work in the UK.
* It does not prompt for any sort of unlock code, it recognises the Orange sim card fine but won't connect to the network
* The same happens with other sims I have tried in the S3 since getting to England
* I cannot try any fixes/unlocking using a USSD code - it just says "no network" available when trying to run the codes.
* the little ariel symbol in the corner just has a red "x" over it
* I read that sometimes the S3 has a region lock. I first booted it up in Asia, could it be locked for use in Asia only?

So, firstly, if it is locked in some way, how do I enter an unlock code into a phone that does not prompt to need unlocking and does not allow the running of a ussd code?

If I do a factory reset, is that likely to solve the problem?

Is there a way to store my data and apps so that I can load them back on after the reset? Will I have to reinstall Android after a reset?

Any help would be welcome as i have already spent many hours searching for a solution.

Thanks
Tom>>>>

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones