• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone unresponsive after calls

Aug 18, 2011
Hey everyone I looked around but didn't see anything for the 3vo so I will try my luck. When ever I get a call or call someone if its longer than 30 seconds I cannot hang up, my phone is unresponsive. It will detect my ear is not near and the back light will pop up but i cannot succesfully hang up. I have to press my wake up button to shut if off then press it again to turn it on unlock my phone and then hang up. Then to make matters worse I cannot use my phone i have to repeat the process. Any suggestions?

Wow! That is puzzling.:thinking:
I don't know why that is happening, but it might be a problem with the stock dialer, and if that is the case, you can download a different dialer from the Google Play Store, and that should remedy the problem. It's worth a try, and there are several in the play Store that you can download/install either free, or low cost. Good luck, and keep us posted, please.

Upvote 0
some questions to answer please?

are you on sprint?
is this a refurb phone or are you the only owner?
when did this start happening?
did you drop the phone?
expose it to water/humidity?

did you install any programs that COULD affect the phones dialer?
removed the batter for 2 minutes then reinsert and test call?

Upvote 0
First we need a little more info, When did this start happening ? Have you tried rebooting your phone? What version SW are you running? Have you installed any new apps since this has started happening. I assume you are on the Sprint network ? Last but not least, have you tried a Factory Reset?

Hey everyone I looked around but didn't see anything for the 3vo so I will try my luck. When ever I get a call or call someone if its longer than 30 seconds I cannot hang up, my phone is unresponsive. It will detect my ear is not near and the back light will pop up but i cannot succesfully hang up. I have to press my wake up button to shut if off then press it again to turn it on unlock my phone and then hang up. Then to make matters worse I cannot use my phone i have to repeat the process. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Okay I will answer all your questions.
marctronixx
are you on sprint? -Yes
is this a refurb phone or are you the only owner? - Only Owner
when did this start happening? -It has happened for at least two months now. Only recently have I had to make more than 5 calls a week and now I can't take it.
did you drop the phone?- I have dropped my phone before not from an extreme high height or at an above normal speed, and it has always been in the case. It didn't start happening after I dropped it it just randomly occured.
expose it to water/humidity?- When I first bought the phone 2 weeks later i left it out in a rainstorm. My case kept all the water out and I never seen any problems from it. That was almost a year ago.

DonB
When did this start happening? -Like I posted earlier about two months maybe more.
Have you tried rebooting your phone? -Yes, I even pull the battery.
What version SW are you running? -Android 2.3.4, Htc Sense 3.0 software number 2.17.851.5
Have you installed any new apps since this has started happening? - Yes
I assume you are on the Sprint network ? - Yes
Last but not least, have you tried a Factory Reset? - No, was hoping maybe there was an easy fix before I did that.

Upvote 0
thanks for the response.

you say its in a case, have you tried taking the phone OUT of the case and just used it that way to make calls? just to rule out any foul play from the case.

what case do you use by the way?

all one can do online without seeing the device is try and offer opinions based on what is posted, and with the other threads on this page that have issues, its hard to diagnose properly.

i would say take it out of the case and see if it makes a difference.

one other thought, is this offense repeatable? meaning, can you do certain steps to make it lock up/become unresponsive every time?

if so, i would take it into a sprint store and have them smoke it over. show them the issue and see what they say.

the only thing left to do is a factory reset. if you have had the phone over a year and have not ever factory reset it, now may be a good time to do so. you will get all of your apps back and your contacts if you have synced them up on google.

let me ask this: do you use any live wallpapers?

do you minimize apps (instead of using the back arrow to back out of an app, you just use the home button)

or do you close out apps (use the back arrow button to close them out -- doing this will close the app)

those questions are just curious questions...

99.6% of the time a factory reset will cure nearly any issues...

Upvote 0
http://www.ultasyo.com/media/products/htc-evo-3d---red-body-glove-icon-case-L.jpg
That is the case I use. it does not actually cover my phone screen. I do have a screen cover on it. It locks up about 70% of the time but like all of yesterday i made 4 calls, none of which locked up. It will be fine one day then bad the next. When it locks up restarting the phone doesn't solve the problem. I think i keep everything backed up with google, is there a way to manually do it so i know its there? Also, I back out of apps some times and other times just hit home button. Alot of times its the home button. I use advanced task killer, I don't know if it does anything but i press it every time I home out of an app. Oh an no live wallpaper.

Upvote 0
please STOP using advanced task killer. it does more harm than good. please let the android OS decide what needs to be run and what needs to be closed.

backing out of apps is a good thing if you dont want them loaded. hitting the home screen just minimizes the app. i doubt this practice is helping with the issue so i would not worry about closing vs. minimizing.

i WOULD, however, question if using the ATK is the thing to do.

smoke over these threads for homework and report back to the class after you've smoked 'em over. good reading...

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/362038-memory-task-management.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/315464-htc-built-task-manager.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones