• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone upgrade and SD Card

tn77

Aug 12, 2011
Seems like an easy question but I don't see it asked already...

I have a Nexus One and almost all apps are installed on the SD card. I plan on getting a Nexus Prime/4G/3/whatever as soon as it is available.

My question is about moving the SD card to the new phone. Will all apps be immediately available? Or should I install the apps first from the market?

I'm asking because I know some app data is stored on the on-board memory itself, and I don't want to screw up anything. What should the steps be (in regard to the SD card) for getting started on a new phone?

Thanks!

I have a Nexus One and almost all apps are installed on the SD card.

This is where many people are confused. The apps themselves are not installed on the sd card. All apps are installed on the internal system memory. When you "move" an app to the sd card, you arent actually moving the app, just the app's data and cache files. So basically to answer your question, no, you cannot just put the sd card in a new phone and have your apps.

The only way to truely backup apps and data is to be rooted and use Titanium Backup. There are apps like AppBrain that will make a "list" of all your apps, and make it easier to install all of them on the new phone. However, your app's data (i.e. game saves) will not be transferred unless both phones are rooted.

Reactions: Triska
Upvote 0
This is where many people are confused. The apps themselves are not installed on the sd card. All apps are installed on the internal system memory.

But then, shouldn't I install the apps on the new phone, and then plug in the SD card to retain all the app settings?

I'm actually aware that stuff is stored on the on-board memory. The only flaw of the Nexus One is the small on-board card; I'm constantly fighting the "low space" warning of 20MB, even though all my apps have been moved to the SD card. Well, every app that can be.

Upvote 0
I only have a 2GB SD card in my Incredible and want to put a larger one in as I seem to have memory issues. If I move my Angry Birds to my phone storage, then I shouldn't lose anything, right?

If you are just upgrading the card on the SAME phone, you will keep the data, as the game saves are actually stored on the internal memory. Just make sure you copy EVERYTHING off the old card, and put it onto the new card, and you will be fine.

But then, shouldn't I install the apps on the new phone, and then plug in the SD card to retain all the app settings?

No. App settings are stored on the phone's internal memory. The only way to backup and restore that data is if both phones are rooted. The only data that gets moved to the sd card when you move an app is the app's cache files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones