• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone went to black screen

n0ct3m

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Mississippi
The other day I was sending a text message on my phone and after I exited out of Handcent, my home screen was completely black. I thought this might be a fluke so I powered it off and back on and it still came up black. The lock screen will show, but when I unlock the screen, it was showing nothing but black. I was using Lock 2.0 for lock screen and helix for my home. Finally, we were able to get it back working, but I can't for the life of me tell you what we did to get it working again. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know what could have caused it and how to prevent it in the future?

The other day I was sending a text message on my phone and after I exited out of Handcent, my home screen was completely black.

I was using Lock 2.0 for lock screen..

I've noticed issues being reported around various forums having to do with a lock screen app working fine for a while, and then causing strange things to happen later on; it has been isolated by removing the app and watching things for several days.

"No lock," a very popular app used to skip the lock screen altogether, can cause black screens and even the home screen wallpaper to have to be replaced, etc.

I stay away from apps such as that, and many more I've seen traced to various issues here and there.

Upvote 0
I've noticed issues being reported around various forums having to do with a lock screen app working fine for a while, and then causing strange things to happen later on; it has been isolated by removing the app and watching things for several days.

"No lock," a very popular app used to skip the lock screen altogether, can cause black screens and even the home screen wallpaper to have to be replaced, etc.

I stay away from apps such as that, and many more I've seen traced to various issues here and there.

I figured it would be either the home app or the lock screen app. I was leaning more towards the home app since the lock screen seemed to be working, but I figure it could still cause issues when appearing to be working.

Did you pull the battery?

Yes, I tried that numerous times as well.

Upvote 0
I figured it would be either the home app or the lock screen app. I was leaning more towards the home app since the lock screen seemed to be working, but I figure it could still cause issues when appearing to be working.

If I were experiencing what you're reporting, I'd remove all apps I honestly could do without, perhaps even some I've depended on, and monitor the situation for at least two or three days before declaring an app the problem.

Then, if things were running as they should with all of those apps deleted, I'd begin re-installing them one at a time and watching things for a day or so before re-installing another app in an effort to fine out which one is messing with the device.. it is a tedious process, but it can isolate the rogue application for you.

If, after the point of removal of all the apps, the issues are still present, then you've at least eliminated apps as the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones