Phone will automatically reset to factory if incorrect pin enter 10 timesSupport

1. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Ever since i installed the ota update this morning (VZW S5), whenever I mis-type my PIN, i get this message:

You have incorrectly attempted to unlock the phone 1 time. After 9 more unsuccessful attempts the phone will be reset to factory default and all user data will be lost.

Is there any way to disable this setting? I don't want my phone to be accidently reset causing me to lose everything on it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

If it was how are you going to perform the task the device is locked the only thing it will erase is the contacts, emails ,texts, and apps also app data . pre installed apps will remain only extra apps you downloaded. Those will remain on the play store in the all app section.
  3. rawness

It reads like it would erase photos and other docs as well.

Regardless, i don't want it erasing apps and their settings either. So the question remains: is there any way to disable this?
  4. rawness

I found the option in settings under lock screen (i was looking in security) to disable this.
    MCL777 likes this.
  5. BRAINZ2013

6. rawness

7. BRAINZ2013

Yes you can but now anyone that finds or use your phone can see pretty much everything you done or did can cancel make or copy. So the way it is would be OK just not secure .
  8. rawness

Not if they don't know my pin.

I can remote wipe before they guess my pin.

The likelihood of an accidental wipe or malicious wipe is greater than this actually stopping a theif
  9. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Good find, I'd rather be deciding when to wipe my phone.. not my phone deciding.
  10. MCL777

MCL777 Member

Thanks for sharing. Wow, a reset without the owner of the phone's permission would be very unpleasant. I don't use a pin but will pass this info on to my daughter who does.
  11. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, and it happened to me in the first week i owned my S5.

I had installed FoxFi and that app forced me to enter a pincode. Thinking that it "only effected FoxFi" I made up a code on the fly and immediately forgot it.

El Wrongo! That pincode is for the Lockscreen, and to make it worse, I was using a Draw Pattern to unlock my screen. You can just imagine my frustration when presented with "Enter pincode" the next time I needed my phone.

I tried to guess what it was that I had "made up on the fly" and got it wrong every time. Next thing I saw was "Rebooting" and or "Resetting", whatever, the phone was reformatted back to baby new... it had to be reinitialized to the carrier all over again.

And obviously all of my fine tune efforts thrown out with the dish water.
    MCL777 likes this.
  12. AnonGuy

AnonGuy Well-Known Member

How are you going to remote wipe a locked device with no SIM card that isn't on a known WiFi network? You can't. If I found a good phone and wanted to keep it, the first thing I'd do is open it and take the SIM out. Then I'd use hardware buttons and reset it.

If it had a pin, with no auto wioe, I'd have the phone open in hours (assuming the pin started with 5 or higher and I took a couple breaks) and you wouldn't be able to lock or wipe it because how is it going to receive the command with no Internet or cellular connection???

Your SD card will still belong to me regardless, including anything on it, and after wiping the phone I can use free software to recover data from the internal storage. Including cached contacts and emails, app data, etc.

The auto wipe is only a decently trivial way to protect private information, but someone who wants your stuff will get it. Android Phones don't securely wipe thrmselves, and aren't encrypted by default.