Phone with cracked screen worth $30?General

Last Updated:

1. brockalee

brockalee Member This Topic's Starter

The Incredible VS. Kitchen Floor battle went as expected... [​IMG]

So I paid the $89 deductible, bought a case for the new phone, and got the replacement from Asurion. They want me to send back the broken phone. If I don't, I get charged another $30.

I don't know anything about smart phone repair - is there a chance that a replacement screen will become available? I put a Zagg screen protector on the phone and I was still able to use it - though readability severely hindered. So I guess the glass itself is the only damaged part.

What would you do?

Advertisement
  2. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

I will return it.

3. egghead79

egghead79 Active Member

Almost certainly worth more than $30. iPhones with cracked screens are worth $150+.

4. Crow

Crow Banned

$30????? You'll get over $200 for it on ebay, yes with a broken screen.

5. narf

narf Well-Known Member

Definitely worth more than $30

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

Right now, no supply of new screens you can get aftermarket like you can with iPhones. With some modest skill, you can repair an ipHOne screen with parts.

7. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I would keep it and use it as is. Looks fine to me.

8. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

if u dont care about $30 i would keep it. test root on it :)

9. acidarmitage

acidarmitage Well-Known Member

i think it counts as fraud if you dont send it back

10. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

the screen comes off very easily, u can get replacements from htc for much cheaper and then you will have twice the incredible.

11. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

I'll give you $35. :D

12. brockalee

No, I don't think it is considered fraud. They didn't seem to care much about getting it back really. If they did, they would charge more than $30. I get the same replacement and pay the same deductible whether I drop it in a pool or lose it all together.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance that in the next 6 months or so that a company might make a replacement screen available. If so, it's definitely worth more than $30 to me!

aleis likes this.
  13. brockalee

I tried contacting HTC - they will not support me since I bought the phone from Verizon, not an unlocked version from them. They also said they would not sell directly to consumers. I couldn't find any outlets selling their parts.

14. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

cnn.cn is usually my source.

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You'll be able to get a replacement screen within the next month or 2. I'd hold onto it and then repair it when you can. Until then just throw it in a drawer and forget about it, or use it to test root as someone else stated.

16. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

+1 Just add a screen protector and you are set to go.

17. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Actually i wonder if the touch panel is seperate from the oled below it. If so then you might be able to get grab a new touch sensor screen which is the top layer over the oled and backlight. If thats the case it'll be alot cheaper than replacing the oled, but i have no idea if they are all 1 part or 2-3 seperate parts. Either way i'm sure it won't cost too much to fix it.

18. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

The ESN for your broken one is going to be blacklisted by asurion as soon as you activate the new one. So it wont be able to be activated on another account even if you manage to fix it. I would suggest just sending it back and keeping your $30.

19. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

+1

20. brockalee

Oh wow - I hadn't thought about that. That makes perfect sense. I'd hate to fix it or sell it broken and rip someone off like that.

21. jhinck1414

jhinck1414 Member

have you actually talked to asurion about if you keep it for an extra $30 they will still blacklist it?

22. gorenut

gorenut Well-Known Member

This is just a broad and generalized statement, but aren't most people who buy cell phones in these conditions going to jailbreak the phone or do something on their own anyways? Seems to me someone looking for something like this just wants the inside hardware and is willing to pay what its worth to them to get it and not be tied to some contract. Sorry for my ignorance, I've never sold any of my old cell phones before so I don't know the ins and outs of this. Any additional info though, would be helpful, since I am in the market to sell my LG ENV Touch.

23. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

When Asurion blacklists an ESN for a Verizon phone you can no longer activate it. When you try to get a Verizon rep to swap a blacklisted phone it wont let them do it. There is no way around it other than getting Asurion to remove the block and that wont happen. They do this so you cant sell the phone. When you send it back to them they replace what is broken and send them back out. This is part of their agreement with the carriers. Rooting or "jailbreaking" the phone wouldnt change the fact the ESN is blacklisted. So you are basically stuck with a phone that can never be activated on a carrier. All this is referring to getting an insurance replacement through Asurion and not returning the broken phone. So if this doesnt apply to your ENV then you should have no problem selling it. The only time Verizon will blacklist an ESN is if your account was not paid in full when you left.

gorenut likes this.
  24. Crow

Crow Banned

They only blacklist phones they receive back.

25. gorenut

gorenut Well-Known Member

Thanks big time for the clarification. Now I can sell my old phone without worrying about ripping someone else off.