Phone won't boot?! HELP!

Last Updated:

1. l337toast

l337toast New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I just recently purchased a samsung captivate and have rooted it successfully. This was done about a week ago. Last night, it apparently ran out of power so I plugged it into the charger and went to sleep. This morning, I have the unpleasant surprise of trying to turn on my phone, which proceeds to the lock screen and the sd card diagnostic messages, only to freeze and turn the screen off. This loops infinitely after tuning off (turn on, lock screen/diagnostics, turn off, vibrates, turns itself on, etc). I have tried removing and reinserting the battery, removing the simcard removing an external sd card, keeping it plugged in/not plugged in. I'm at my wits end here. Can anyone here help me?

EDIT: I have also, at one point, sideloaded genie widget, fancy widget, and lockbot pro(uninstalled already)

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

If you turn it off, take out the battery, make sure it's unplugged from USB. Put the battery back in. Plug in the phone. You should get a battery charge icon. Hold volume up and power till the screen goes black, let go of power and continue to hold volume up. This will get you into the recovery mode. From their try reinstalling packages. This will reapply the root but hopefully get you back into your phone afterwards.. If not, there is a wipe data in there, but be warned, I have no idea what that will wipe.

3. l337toast

Whenever I try the volume up+ power on the lock screen, I simply am taken to the large battery charging screen. If i attempt this on the battery screen, the phone simply boots up. What am I doing wrong?

4. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Ok, you don't want to try it until your at the phone screen. Just shut it down till you're at that screen, THEN hold in volume up + power, as soon as the screen goes black, let go of power only, continue holding in volume. May take a couple tries but that should get you to recovery.

5. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

As long as you can get into that menu, you can do a factory reset if truly necessary. Did you happen to make a nandroid backup right after root? Just as stated before, you may be lucky and be able to install packages to get it to work again.

6. l337toast