• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone won't charge on my PC only

Kendel1

Jul 24, 2016
For some reason, totally random, I don't recall doing anything big that would make this happen, but my Samsung Galaxy S5 won't charge on my computer using a usb cable. It's got nothing to do with the actual USB ports on my computer or the cord, or the phone itself, because it works perfectly on my younger brother's computer and my mother's computer, and using other things that plug into the USB port, like keyboard, mouse, controllers etc. still work and make the connection sound, but not the phone.

Help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

What type of USB ports are you using? A USB 2.0 port can only supply up to 500ma and that's if it's a powered port. A data-only port can't supply power for charging. A powered USB 3.0 port can supply up to 900ma. To reliably charge an S5, especially if it's in use, it should be connected to a charger that is rated to supply 2A. This is the rating of the OEM charger that comes with the phone.
It is best to use a dedicated external charger and not rely on PC ports for charging. If you are using a proper charger and cable and the phone still doesn't charge, there may be something wrong with the phone or battery (this assumes you've tried different chargers and cables).
Also drivers have nothing to do with whether the phone will charge or not, they are only for data transfer. Even without the drivers the phone would still charge on a powered port, it just wouldn't show up as a recognized device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's plugged into my computer right now and it is staying at 100% and not going down, it is also saying that it's fully charged and telling me to unplug my phone, but it's not showing up on my computer in the other devices as shown below
e3a5c56034.png

Upvote 0
There are apps that will tell you the actual charging current (and whether it's charging or discharging), you may want to try one of those to see what it's actually doing when plugged in.
You said it didn't charge when you plugged it into the wall, what were you using for a charger and cable? OEM or aftermarket, and did you try more than one of each (or try that charger and cable on a different device to see if they work)?

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm so sorry but it was the cord's fault, I'm sorry for doubting you, but please understand, me and my mother bought the same exact cord, and if it was fully charging and connecting to other people's computer's I would obviously think it was fine, thank you all for the help. You can lock this thread now

Upvote 0
For some reason, totally random, I don't recall doing anything big that would make this happen, but my Samsung Galaxy S5 won't charge on my computer using a usb cable. It's got nothing to do with the actual USB ports on my computer or the cord, or the phone itself, because it works perfectly on my younger brother's computer and my mother's computer, and using other things that plug into the USB port, like keyboard, mouse, controllers etc. still work and make the connection sound, but not the phone.

Help would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Did you enable "Charge Only" in System Settings > Storage [emoji504] > USB Computer Connection?

That's not driver related either. If you just want to charge your phone without using mtp then this is where you'll find it.

You don't utilize Samsung drivers for charging. That's processor or USB related.

On my Envy m6, AMD Catalyst drivers regulate USB charging, not Samsung. Samsung drivers are for either MTP or ADB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones