• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone wont charge to 100% capacity properly

Yeah. That is exactly what I was saying in my previous post.

It hits 100%, then stops, drops a bit, then charges it to 100% again. If you happen to unplug it during one of those charging valleys, then it will quickly show a battery charge slightly lower than 100%, and on the flipside, if you unplug it during a charging peak, it should keep the 100% charge indication longer.

Upvote 0
Ok a few problems here. First my phone wont charge too 100 even when it is on charge for 12 hours. Also while the phone is on charge and reaches "maximum charge" it will stop charging and the battery will start to drain. I have woken up to find my battery at 89 percent before. Any idea what is wrong.. this phone is really starting to piss me off :(

Upvote 0
Ok a few problems here. First my phone wont charge too 100 even when it is on charge for 12 hours. Also while the phone is on charge and reaches "maximum charge" it will stop charging and the battery will start to drain. I have woken up to find my battery at 89 percent before. Any idea what is wrong.. this phone is really starting to piss me off :(

Seeing 100% is rare. As soon as you turn your screen on, it will drop from 100% to 99%, even while on the charger. This is because the phone runs off the battery and the battery charges off of external power. And the screen turning on requires a bit of juice to activate. The phone never runs on external power alone. This is also how an uninterruptable power supply works (battery back ups for computers, for example).

However, being at 89% is alarming if it's been on the charger for awhile and got above that point. Download battery monitor widget and watch the chart. It should go stead up to 100%, then do a wave effect. If it goes up to 100% and then comes back down to 89%, there's a problem. It should go up to 100% and then drain to 95% and repeat the cycle.

Upvote 0
My EVO 3D seems to not be charging correctly. I noticed the red light was blinking when it was charging. This led me to believe that the USB cable must be damaged, and sure enough it was a tad frayed at the part that plugs into the wall portion of the charger.
I then bought a new Belkin usb cable, and although this seems to sort of work, my phone seems to be taking an eternity to get a full charge. It's been approximately 4 hours, and I'm still at about 80% full from about 12% before I plugged it in.

This doesn't seem normal. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution?

Upvote 0
hi, we are here to help.

first a few questions:

are you rooted? if so list the ROM you are using.

are you using a USA version or UK version handset?

do you have any monitoring apps currently installed on the phone?

have you tried other chargers?

do you have the original htc wall charger plug? what happens if you charge it from that and from AC power?

are you charging from a computer? did you try another computer?

did you do a 2 minute battery pull?

have you done a soft reset from the shutdown menu screen?

finally,, did you have any issues like this when you were using the old cable that became "frayed"? was that cable charging the handset just fine?

answer those questions and we can all get on the same page.

ive moved your question to this thread for more support in the interim.

Upvote 0
My EVO 3D seems to not be charging correctly. I noticed the red light was blinking when it was charging. This led me to believe that the USB cable must be damaged, and sure enough it was a tad frayed at the part that plugs into the wall portion of the charger.
I then bought a new Belkin usb cable, and although this seems to sort of work, my phone seems to be taking an eternity to get a full charge. It's been approximately 4 hours, and I'm still at about 80% full from about 12% before I plugged it in.

This doesn't seem normal. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution?
Install current widget and see what kind of current the phone is getting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.manor.currentwidget

Upvote 0
I have a brand new rooted Evo 3D and it will not go past 99%. Is this still an issue? I've tried a few different ROMS but its still the same with each.

Thanks

This is ok. The phone won't usually tick over to 100% with the screen on. And 99% seems to last forever because the charge rate to a phone near full capacity will generally be just above the discharge rate, especially if the screen is on.

Download "Battery Calibration" from the market. Run the app, plug in the phone, and turn off the screen. It'll make the phone beep when at 100%. You then can do a battery calibration, if you like. Push the Calibrate Battery button and unplug the phone. Don't plug it back in until the phone shuts itself off or you're at 3%. I usually let it charge back up to 100% while the device is still on. If you let it go all the way to death, you'll have to charge it a little before the device comes back on.

Reactions: Lyvewire
Upvote 0
This is ok. The phone won't usually tick over to 100% with the screen on. And 99% seems to last forever because the charge rate to a phone near full capacity will generally be just above the discharge rate, especially if the screen is on.

Download "Battery Calibration" from the market. Run the app, plug in the phone, and turn off the screen. It'll make the phone beep when at 100%. You then can do a battery calibration, if you like. Push the Calibrate Battery button and unplug the phone. Don't plug it back in until the phone shuts itself off or you're at 3%. I usually let it charge back up to 100% while the device is still on. If you let it go all the way to death, you'll have to charge it a little before the device comes back on.

This is good info. I'll try this now. I keep seeing posts in different threads about people doing this. Didnt know why but now I do.

I also noticed my battery charges to 99% then starts to lower to 98-97 while charging. Is this normal? I was thinking because I had my screen "not off" and brightness 100%, (this particular time), but my Evo 4G never had that issue..Any ideas???

Upvote 0
This is good info. I'll try this now. I keep seeing posts in different threads about people doing this. Didnt know why but now I do.

I also noticed my battery charges to 99% then starts to lower to 98-97 while charging. Is this normal? I was thinking because I had my screen "not off" and brightness 100%, (this particular time), but my Evo 4G never had that issue..Any ideas???

If you're watching your cell charge with the screen on, I wouldn't be surprised if it did do that. Especially with full brightness. It probably just barely ticked over into 100% range and that shut off the charger (solid green LED) and let it do it's 100%-95% loop.

Seeing how you're rooted, seriously, give Battery Calibration a shot. I rarely see 100% on my phone, and usually only when that app rings to let me know it's at 100%. And let it charge with the screen off.

Reactions: Lyvewire
Upvote 0
If you're watching your cell charge with the screen on, I wouldn't be surprised if it did do that. Especially with full brightness. It probably just barely ticked over into 100% range and that shut off the charger (solid green LED) and let it do it's 100%-95% loop.

Seeing how you're rooted, seriously, give Battery Calibration a shot. I rarely see 100% on my phone, and usually only when that app rings to let me know it's at 100%. And let it charge with the screen off.

That makes sense. I'll report back after its completed

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones