• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone wont charge... troubleshoot

Slice28

Jun 10, 2010
Wow my phone wont charge.. I have three different chargers and none of them will work so its definitely a problem with the phone.. if I mess around with the plug enough by wiggling it I can get a charge but then I have to keep it in that exact position for it to stay charging which is practically impossible. ive never dropped the phone once. i have a case on it. im extremely careful with it and ive had it for over a month now and its been fine.. so of course now im about 4 days over my 30 day warranty.. so what do I do now ?? any solutions to fix it or......

once you open it up your warranty is void, so let that be an absolute last resort.

if you are within a week of the warranty, just go up to sprint and talk to them about the issue. go to a corporate store please..

if you have sprints TEP this is covered with no cost to you...

It's a one year warranty, correct? Minimum 90 days, we're all within that.

Plus, the whole opening and voiding...this is the least protected electronic device I have seen in a while. One T5 screw had a thin black sticker over it. I am now glad I cleaned up the soldering on the USB connection when I put the wiring for the palm in.

Upvote 0
no apparently its a 30 day warranty.. i just called sprint who sent me through 3 different departments and a combined total of about 1 hr of waiting time and they all told me that its a 30 year warranty and that mine has been expired for six days. so now they suggested that i call the manufacturer (HTC).. which ive now been holding for about 20 minutes.. one possible positive however, is that i bought the phone through radio shack and i know that they had given me some sort of warranty as well so if all else fails i could try my luck with them.. but even if everything goes right one sales rep told me that the evo is still in high demand and is currently only available in select retail stores so God knows how long ill have to wait for a new one !!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
ok i stand corrected.. finally got through to HTC (which provides much better customer support than sprint..thank God) but the good news is that they said it has a 1 year warranty and the 30 day warranty is just the period in which you can return the phone and get your money back.. but the bad news is that they arent open until monday and then when i finally do sort things out with them im sure it will take a least a couple of days to send me out a new phone.. so now im going to have to deal with spending 10 minutes to get my phone charge and then never touch it when it does for about a week..ugggggh!

Upvote 0
no apparently its a 30 day warranty.. i just called sprint who sent me through 3 different departments and a combined total of about 1 hr of waiting time and they all told me that its a 30 year warranty and that mine has been expired for six days. so now they suggested that i call the manufacturer (HTC).. which ive now been holding for about 20 minutes.. one possible positive however, is that i bought the phone through radio shack and i know that they had given me some sort of warranty as well so if all else fails i could try my luck with them.. but even if everything goes right one sales rep told me that the evo is still in high demand and is currently only available in select retail stores so God knows how long ill have to wait for a new one !!!!!!!!!!

And im betting its a hardware version 2 build? It seems the HW 0002 builds are having USB port issues all of a sudden. The phone is supposed to have a one year warranty through Sprint but after 30 days you get a refurbished phone not a new one. Let me correct that the warranty is really through HTC but sprint does the swap outs for HTC.

Upvote 0
And im betting its a hardware version 2 build? It seems the HW 0002 builds are having USB port issues.

I have a 002 and have since June 4 and my USB port works just fine.

But then again, my TP2 had a good working USB port for a while, and over time it became loose and ******ed. Hopefully it doesn't happen with this phone. HTC just needs to bump up the quality of these ports.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't corrolate shoddy build quality with HW 002 or build dates directly. In my opinion, based on the fact that I'm on my 3rd, yes 3rd EVO, HTC's quality is quite lacking overall as far as fit and finish for this otherwise great phone. All of my phones were 002s, but my current one is great...not sure if it's refurbed or not though.

However, my current EVO is not perfect as there's very minor light leakage, which is only visible in a dark room. This one's FM, speakerphone, and phone speaker, all work WAY better than my previous two also.

My previous EVO, which was "fresh off the manufacturing line" according to the person I was working with, was the worst. I mean HORRID. The speakerphone, phone speaker, and FM radio were all crap. The worst part of my second one is shown below.

DPP_0002.JPG

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones