• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone wont connect to wifi

i have a s3 mini and the problem i am having is this. when i go into settings and try to turn wifi on it says 'turning on' but after a few seconds it just turns back off again. it never gets beyond the turning on message . i know that my router is fine as i can connect many other devices to it. is this a common problem ? and if not can someone please tell me how i would fix it. thanks very much to anyone who is able to help

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Hopefully we can help. The problem you describe is not common. There are a few things I would do as a matter of course:

Restart your phone. Restart your router (power off and on again) Even when other devices are working this sometimes solves things. Normally however your phones wifi should stay turned on even when there is no local network.

Do this:

menu button
settings
press when it says wi-Fi, not the slider
now menu button then advanced
tick Network notification
set "Keep wifi on during sleep to "always"
go back and try again

post back with results or any error messages

Once again welcome :)

Roger

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Hopefully we can help. The problem you describe is not common. There are a few things I would do as a matter of course:

Restart your phone. Restart your router (power off and on again) Even when other devices are working this sometimes solves things. Normally however your phones wifi should stay turned on even when there is no local network.

Do this:

menu button
settings
press when it says wi-Fi, not the slider
now menu button then advanced
tick Network notification
set "Keep wifi on during sleep to "always"
go back and try again

post back with results or any error messages

Once again welcome :)

Roger
hi thanks for reply. apologies for delay in replying to you . sorry for posting in wrong forum.
i have followed your suggestions but unfortunately its still the same, when i try to turn it on its still doing the same as before. any more suggestions??

Upvote 0
Hi!
Does it connect to other routers? In other words; is the problem specific to that combi?

Is your home router password protected? Does it connect if you disable that protection?

Wifi routers and devices comes in different frequencies. Check if both are on the same wave length ;)

Very unlikely but.... How many devices/connections can the router handle? Does your phone connect when you disable other home devices?

Just my two cents :)

Upvote 0
Do you mean that you can't turn on the wifi entirely, or that wifi is on but it won't connect to your network?

If you literally can't even turn on the wifi switch, I would probably try a factory reset of the device and see if the issue goes away.

If you mean that it won't connect to your network, I had a similar issue where my device would stop connecting to my wifi. The only thing that helped was restarting my router.

Sometimes my connection would only last for hours, but most times it would last for days before I'd have to restart the router again.

The router worked fine with all my other devices. Never did figure out the root of the issue.

Upvote 0
I've seen that exact issue before with a galaxy s2, the only way we could get the wifi to turn on(and stay on) was through the "power toggles" widgets. long press on an empty area of your homescreen to add a widget, find the widget called, power control. Or see if you can find a widget just for toggling wifi.

Other than that, it may be a hardware problem. You could always try a factory reset first though. Good luck :)

Upvote 0
Geez, I finally found my exact problem I'm having with my S3 mini... It just never goes on! At all!...

Now I've tried factory restore, hard reset, custom rommed and Rooted then reversed the whole lot, updated to latest 4.1... Version to 4.2 to 4.2.2 ... Tried doing Kitkat with CWM n installed full ROM package...
Here's the best part However, I've tested the Hardware, checked the Mobo for any short in circuit, also swopped with an alt mobo... And recently replaced the LCD with new front bezel and all connectors in tact! ... I somehow believe That Hardware isn't really issue but somewhere with the Software, perhaps some reg keys in the code or something?
Please please really help, maybe XDA's can tweak some line of code there...
... I'm even putting a $ Bounty on this issue as I really gotta get it fixed ye? (Just name @CodeTeam or XDADevs)

Thanks any help waaaay in advance!
ThaMaTH 💡🎮

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones