Phone won't correctly switch back to 3gSupport

Last Updated:

1. theredkrawler

theredkrawler Active Member This Topic's Starter

G'day,

Very happy with the i9000 in the last few days of ownership, using launcher pro in place of stock but otherwise mostly unchanged.

One issue we have is that after being at home overnight on wifi, the phone doesn't automatically re enable 3g. To restore the mobile data you have to go into the network operator selection and re select Optus (our carrier here in Aus). Leaving it on auto doesn't help, and you have to manually choose it each time (ie: it "forgets" what I selected or something)

Using apndroid to mangle the apn on/off doesn't help. Restarting the phone fixes it but obviously not ideal. Have tried entering the code to change it to gsm only instead of the default wcdma/gsm auto with no benefit.

When the mobile data is working, it happily switches between 2g and 3g, but will sometimes simply stop working as per the wifi overnight problem and I have to manually select the operator again. This happens very randomly and can go several days without drama, our only a few minutes.

while this data won't connect, the phone capabilities aren't affected and you can make and receive calls fine. In fact if you dial a number it sometimes causes the data to re connect.

(in fact its done it while I'm writing this post.... Sent from my galaxy ;P)

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
    Fat Jesus likes this.
  2. andreami

andreami Member

I'm having the same problem here as well.. Am in aus too on the optus network so not sure if that is a factor...

3. yohji3

yohji3 New Member

hi, i am also experiencing the same problem. It happens to me frequently whenever i use Wifi [Philippines]. Maybe that is a glitch that needs to be addressed and fixed when they update the software to froyo 2.2. However, my workaround to that, just temporarily switch your phone to flight mode for 15-30 seconds then go back to network mode and that should do the trick...If still does not work i restart the phone.

4. theredkrawler

I might try the Optus SIM in this phone (I'm now on my i7500 - such a galaxy whore) to see if its a network thing. This one was on Telstra, and is now with Exetel (Vodafone network) and has never had any issues with 3g at all so if the fault persists across different hardware its likely a network thing. Conversely I will also try this sim I'm the i9000.

Given that someone in the Phillipines is also having an issue, its probably hardware/firmware though :(

Airplane mode sounds like an easy temporary fix though. Sucks that it has to be part of the daily routine though :(

5. atelesco

atelesco Member

Hi All,

I am having the same problem networking problems with my I9000, the 3G/Wifi not auto-switching when I am out of a hotspot range. I have tried 2 different SIM Cards with different carriers in Switzerland and the problem is the same so it is a phone issues. I have tried all the network settings like never turn off turning off or when its connected to power but the same problem. It stays on 3G or it stays on WIFI.
    It is a real draw back for the Galaxy, I had the iphone and the switching worked great.

6. theredkrawler

Yeah, it does it on both sims here too :-(

I found manually switching wifi off allowed it to come b back eventually, though I haven't investigated enough to prove this definitely brings it back everytime.

Hopefully the 2.2 update fixes this. I think I'l be grabbing the samsung firmware instead of waiting for optus to release it OTA. Theyll take forever to add their own crap ware to it.

7. deviant

deviant Member

are you sure its not apndroid causing the issue? I had the same issue. try leaving apndroid switch on then turned off manually by mobile networks to 2g mode, then move off wifi and switch 3g back on manually by enabling the mobile network back to 3g.

8. frodmann

frodmann New Member

9. t101

t101 New Member

found a solution. use some task killer, like autokiller, kill the service "com.android.phone".

i believe it reboot the baseband, and thus solve it.

if get ip but can't connect , turn on wifi and then off.

update: in area that you don't have wifi, the last action item may not work. in this case, you may have to kill "system_server" to make it function well. but that is a half reboot.
    just found an app. called "fast reboot". will try if this can fix it.

10. aussi

aussi New Member

I dont have the 3g data call settings and i recently added data to my plan, does anyone know why that is

11. Fat Jesus

Fat Jesus New Member

Have the same problem. Only had the phone a week and am completely happy with it, apart from the whole 3g being a stooge. At first I thought it was Optus, but after reading this thread I realised that I am not the only one.

As appealing as the quickfix taskkiller sounds, it still seems like too much effort for something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Does anyone know when 2.2 will become available, and whether we have to download it through either this forum or the marketplace, or will the phone automatically do it for me? (kinda new to the whole smartphone idea)

Cheers in advance :D

12. danidesi

danidesi New Member

you can avoid this problem, as many of android users facing this problem.
    so solve this issue ...
    Go to phone dial and simply dial *#*#4636#*#*
    This will open up a menu
    showing you 4 options
    1. Phone information
    2. battery information
    3. battery history
    4. usage statics
    now choose Phone Information
    and scroll down to Network type , which could be "GSM preferred" or "UMTS preferred"
    Now you choose your provider's network type only e.g WCDMA only or GSM only.
    now exit the menu by pressing "back" key.
    this must prevent the problem
    Enjoy!

13. puppydogeye

puppydogeye New Member

Hello, newbie here.

Just got my new Samsung Galaxy S last weekend. Cute as!!

When I activate the services and 3G and Wifi works perfectly (either one of the function), but I don't really know what happen, perhaps I click on the wrong bottom on the setting... it turn the 3G off and now can only stay in WIFI.

In my opinion, it's not big deal to stay on WIFI, but I would like to know how can I turn the 3G on just in case if we are out of somewhere there is no wifi available, then my 3G can be on.

I have read so many place, it should just one bottom click away to switch between 3G or WIFI… but not happen in my case…

HELP!!!!

Thanks

CoCo