Phone won't rotate to landscapeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. RickDD

RickDD New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Eris for a week now, first it quit playing videos, and won't animate weather radar, now it won't rotate to landscape mode, this makes typing with my fat fingers tough, anybody have any cures or solutions ??

Rick

Advertisement
  2. thelion

thelion Well-Known Member

Funny, mine rotates to landscape when I don't want it to. And yes, my G sensor is calibrated. Especially with Handcent, it rotates to landscape and WILL NOT rotate back.

I am really starting to regret this phone. The Droid had issues but at least it rotated properly.

3. jjr1968

jjr1968 Well-Known Member

mine rotated fine at first, then once it didn't, somehow, the setting was "unchecked". I didn't touch any settings. Once I "checked" the option, it hasn't been a problem.

4. Jon_E

Jon_E New Member

My phone will not rotate to landscape mode, either. It used to work, but it stopped for no reason. I've tried recalibrating and turning off the phone. No dice. This has to be an Android bug. I've seen this question several places on the web with no definitive answer on how to fix it.

5. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Make sure that, when you calibrate the G-Sensor, the phone is laying flat on a level surface (e.g. on a table, camera lens touching the table top).

G-Sensor calibration is Settings > Sound and Display > Bottom of the list

It may take a second or two for the display to swap between portrait and landscape at times.

6. Jon_E

Jon_E New Member

Thanks for the reply, but I've recalibrated the phone precisely that way several times to no avail. It is stuck in portrait mode. (Yes, my trackball is on the right hand side, and yes, I waited a full minute).

The phone is an HTC Eris w/ Android 1.5.

7. Jon_E

Jon_E New Member

I feel kinda stupid for not finding this earlier, but here is the fix:

Settings -> Sound & Display -> Orientation (about halfway down)

Checked, it will auto-rotate to landscape.
    Unchecked, it will stay in portrait.

I don't ever remember changing this setting, but there it is. Works fine now, and I like my Android again.

8. davros

davros Well-Known Member

Sense UI will never rotate btw