Phone won't "shut down". Cant get to Recovery.

Last Updated:

1. skapooj

skapooj Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 31, 2010

I recently flashed a .zip file to change my lock screen (, The flash seemed successful except that I started having many force closes after the flash. All of these apps were HTC, like people, calendar, photos, clock. I then noticed some dialer issues. I could make outgoing calls, but my phone did not respond correctly when calls came in.

After much searching and not getting a response in the thread where I downloaded the lock screen, I decided to just flash an old Nandroid backup. But when I long pressed my power off key, the phone did a quick vibrate and restarted (instead of giving me the many options it should have).

So the main point is, I am fairly certain that it is not possible to "unflash" this .zip file that has caused these problems, so now I am left not knowing how I can get to recovery to flash an old backup. Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!

I am rooted running PlainJaneV2 and am fairly new to root so please be thorough in any wisdom you may be so kind to pass on to me. Thanks very much!

2. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    When the phone's off, hold volume up and press the power button. Alternatively if you have adb set up, just plug it in and type "adb reboot recovery" while the phone is on and it should reboot to recovery.
  3. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    If you can't get your phone to turn off for whatever reason, just do a battery pull. Then you should be able to get to recovery by the normal method, Volume Up + Power. If you rooted via 1 Click Root or similar way, then I would also suggest setting up your computer with the Android SDK so you can issue ADB commands in tough situations like this.