phone won't turn on after updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. amheck

amheck Active Member This Topic's Starter

hey guys, I litterally just picked up a used Captivate an hour ago. I was messing around with the setting and saw an update section. So I did that and it said it found one, it downloaded it, and said the phone would reboot in 5 sec. After that, I get nothing. I had like 80% battery via the meter.

Any tips here for a new (and scared) android user?

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

It took a few minutes for mine to get off the galaxy s symbol to come on but it was a but nervous.

3. amheck

Mine's on the truck back to Samsung. Hey, at least I got to mess with it for 30 minutes....

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

if it's still stuck hold down the power button along with your two volume buttons to reset. Hit clear data cache and see if that'll work.

5. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

I dont think he has possesion of it anymore.

This isnt the first person to have this happen. According to a poll done on a different forum, and an article I read a few feeks ago from, i think Gizmodo, the only reported perma-brickings for the captivate have occured to a handful of people after attempting the JH7 update.

OP, sorry to hear that dude, hope they get it sorted out for you quick.

6. amheck

Yeah, I called AT&T yesterday, hoping they'd offer to send out a replacement, but they patched me thru to Samsung who is taking care of the issue.

I found a thread on the AT&T forums where a bunch of people had this happen. Exact same situation as mine. I had the phone plugged in for a couple hours, and also tried the hard reset (vol down + power button) but the phone was done.

Bummer, I had agonized over this purchase for a while. I've never bought a non-subsidized phone before and never purchase one off craigslist. It's just a bummer to finally get an Android phone and now have it gone for a week. Oh well, life could be worse.