Phone won't turn on

Last Updated:

1. taylor310

taylor310 Member This Topic's Starter

So my phone just turned itself off when I had just restarted it and it will not come back on. I've tried battery pull(and letting it sit there several minutes), sd card pull, charging it while there isn't a battery in the phone, and charging it with the battery plugged in.

I can't get the phone to come back on. I'm rooted with CM(no overclock kernel). Do you guys think if I take it to verizon to get the warranty replacement I will get a 570 dollar charge after they replace it? What I mean is do you think they will be able to test it and figure out it wasn't stock and bill me.

Also, do you guys have any ideas on how to get it to come back on?

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

What does it do when you try to turn it on?

You could try putting the battery in, plugging in the charger and waiting about a half hour before trying to power it up..

3. taylor310

It just sits with a completely blank screen.

I've left it plugged in for a while to see if it was a battery charge issue, but i'm not sure if it is. What is wierd is I plugged it in without a battery in there and the lights would only come on on the side(the light when you are charging your phone) for a split second when the charger was in a very specific place.

I had actually had a problem where the phone would turn itself off and wouldn't turn, for a few minutes, but would eventually come on. Now it is just completely dead and even 30 minutes later won't come on. It had only done this a few times.

4. droidpcguru

Possible problems with the charger maybe? If you have another charger, try that. It does sound like a combination of dead battery/charger problems. My first charger actually blew out.. I had to request a replacement from Motorola. I had similar to the same symptoms as you, with the light coming on for a split second. My battery did not get the chance to die before I realized the charger had died, though. Fortunately I had another USB charger from another phone, and used that until I got my replacement.

It may also be the charging jack on the phone..in that case bad news. I would not risk doing a warranty exchange on a still-rooted phone.

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Make sure you use the wall charger - not the USB to PC. Let it sit overnight and my guess is you will be good to go in the morning.

6. taylor310

See, but the reason I don't think that's the case, is I was at 70% battery life when this happened.

I had the phone on me all day, but only made a 5 minute call, no wifi or bluetooth.

7. taylor310

I'm wondering if maybe there was some sort of overheating issue, or issue with the battery. Like I said in the past couple of days it would turn itself off on its own, and then would not come on for a good 2-3 minutes. I would take the battery out and it still wouldn't come on, and then in 3 minutes it would just power itself on. I had used tempmonitor to keep an eye on the battery and with the stock kernel I was getting temperatures > 30 degrees celsius without doing more than being on the phone.

8. droidpcguru

Ouch..if things don't iron out and you decide to try for a replacement, hopefully you can get to the bootloader so you can flash the sbf..

If not.. sounds like an insurance claim..wet phone maybe?;)

9. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

Even better than wet is lost that way you don't have to give them the phone and them still being able to find out it is rooted.

10. taylor310

Interesting turn of events, my phone powered up after an hour or 2 of NOTHING. I figure I should probably try to clear the SD card so that there isn't a bunch of root stuff on there, and my phone powers off about halfway through and won't come on AGAIN. I'm almost a little scared to run the SBF even IF it does reboot, if it powers off while i'm doing that I think I'll be toast. I think i'm going to try and look into possibly trying to get a new battery and see if maybe that's what part of hte trouble is.