Phone Won't "Wake Up" for Email, Text Notifications While Phone is SleepingSupport

Last Updated:

1. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

When the INC is sleeping I can feel the vibrate or hear the notification sound, however, it won't wake up or let me know that I have something waiting for me just by glancing at it from a distance if it's sleeping. This isn't an issue if I am in a quiet environment, but otherwise it is. I have checked all the settings and there doesn't seem to be a way to make this happen. Any thoughts and advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nashfh

Anyone? A lot of views but no responses yet. I guess there may not be a solution?

3. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

You want the screen to light up or something? I'm confused by the question.

4. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the only option is the indicator light at the top of the phone flashing green when you get a message. It was doing this for me yesterday, but I think I noticed it hasn't been doing it today.

5. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

I would also like to know this. I was so used to this with my enV Touch when a text message or email came through the screen would light up as well so I can visually see it if I can't hear it. Anyone know a solution?

6. PSUBALL10

PSUBALL10 Well-Known Member

Your notification LED should let you know what is going on. It is a small LED to the right of the earpiece. It should flash green to let you know that you have a notification. See page 15 of the users guide.

7. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

The power/charging light flashes green on mine when I have a new notification.

8. accohn12

accohn12 Well-Known Member

I think the OP is asking if there is any way for the screen to "wake up" when he/she gets a new call/text/email...or maybe just calls/texts. The notification light isn't what he/she is looking for.

9. nashfh

Thanks for the opinions. I used to have a Palm Treo and if it was sleeping and I got a text or email, the phone would just wake up for a minute or two to make it obvious.

So, I guess I was looking at the wrong LED. I kept looking for the optical thing to stay lit up. I can barely see that tiny LED at the top, but then again I haven't been looking for that. Still, a more apparent and obvious notification would be better.

10. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

Handcent SMS will light the screen up when you get a new message/voicemail.

nashfh likes this.
  11. nashfh

great, I'll give that a try. I tried Chomp SMS but it wouldn't notify me either.

Thanks

12. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

This doesn't appear to work on current Android OSes at the moment, but may be worth keeping an eye on for future versions. Sounds like it may do what you want:

Missed Reminder - Android app on AppBrain

13. nashfh

Handcent SMS solves the problem for text messages and actually looks like a well designed app. Still have the same issue for emails, however. Could they have made a smaller LED notification light? Geez.

14. timp123

timp123 Active Member

I'd love to see this as well. It seems so intuitive to have the screen light up with every notification, even for just a few seconds. I absolutely hate having to push the on button, swipe, then swipe again, every single time my phone beeps or vibrates, just to see what it is. It especially sucks when I'm driving. Why not have an option to have the notifications panel pop up for 5 seconds, so I can know what's going on with one glance? That would be so much more convenient, and I'm sure it wouldn't kill the battery.

15. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Handcent and SMS Popup wake the phone for text. Email popup will do the same for emails but only works with K9 email, which fortunately I use. I'd like another option that wakes the phone for email also if anyone stumbles across one.

16. timp123

timp123 Active Member

Neither Handsent nor SMS Popup work with Google Voice texting. Does anyone still pay for a texting plan on Verizon, when GV is free?

17. iowabowtech

Yes. Those who haven't received a Google Voice invite for starters. Also, GV texts come through to the recipient as your GV number which is out of network and my wife and I don't have Friends and Family either because we can keep our bill lower by staying on our older plan + texting than "upgrading" to a newer plan that includes F&F. So, since 90% of my texts are to my wife, it makes sense in my case and those like me.

18. timp123

timp123 Active Member

If you both have smartphones, then you both need to have data plans, which would give you free use of the google voice app, right? I don't see what F&F has to do with it, since it's only for calls, not texts.

Or maybe you have a smartphone and your wife a dumbphone, in which case you each would need to have a $10 texting plan to get in-network texting. Then wouldn't it be better to use google voice for unlimited texts, and get your wife a $20 texting plan? Of course, you would have the inconvenience two phone numbers; one for texting and another for in-network calling.

Maybe I'm missing something, but aside from the inconvenience of a separate number for in-network calling, I don't see any scenario where you would need a texting plan on a smartphone, unless you have 2+ dumbphones on the family plan and pay the $30 to cover texting for everyone.

I have 5 phones on a family plan with F&F, and everyone has a google voice number on the 10-number list. This effectively gives everyone unlimited incoming calls. Outgoing calls are also unlimited, by placing the call using the google voice number (a simple one-tap option on the Droid). We only use the cell number when calling other friends on Verizon, so they don't have to use their plan minutes.
    Really the only inconvenience is that we lose incoming caller-ID (the google voice number needs to be displayed in order to fall under the F&F free minutes). GV can present the caller before you answer, though.

19. iowabowtech

Yes, that is my situation. It is not worth changing her to the $20 texting plan and dropping my $10 to make it a rub money wise. I'd rather use SMS popup, it has nice notification options. If I could get a true benefit out of GV beyond that AND save money I'd do it. But in order to get further benefit...calling...I'd need to have F&F, that's why I mentioned that earlier. Adding F&F would bump me up to a higher minute plan which would cost me an additional $20 per month. All so I can use GV?

If I have my wife drop the dumbphone and move to a smartphone where we can both use GV, it's and additional $30 for her data plan plus the $20 for the plan upgrade or an additional $50 per month so we can use GV.

20. timp123

timp123 Active Member

Quite true, and you also have MMS capability, which you lose with GV.

$50, minus the $20 you pay now for texting, for a net increase of $30. That gives you unlimited texting and the potential for unlimited minutes, not to mention email, navigation, etc. on both phones. But as always, the deal depends on how much use you get out of it.

21. Muilisx

Muilisx Well-Known Member

The thing is.....we want a option to do without installing add-ons. I have a Huawei Ascend, and we don't have a little LED light, so we need the screen to wake up.....major fail when making andorids