• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PhoneArena "Samsung Fascinate" review, GPS

PaulRivers

May 6, 2010
Just wanted to mention it -

Samsung Fascinate Review - page3 (Phone Arena Reviews)

"Since the Fascinate is a Verizon device, where would it be without included the apps for VCast Music, Tones, and Videos, as well as VZ Navigator for GPS guided driving directions (Google Maps with Navigation can be download from the Market). We tested VZ Navigator and Google Maps with Navigation, and with both we discovered that it can take up to 5 minutes to acquire the initial GPS lock. Then when driving around, or exiting and loading the app again, the GPS lock was only a few seconds."

Mine works fine when I'm out and moving. I'm not sure going in to the store and turning it on will provide accurate, real-world results (although I know that's all you can do when you're shopping).

When I got mine out and turned it on, it was about 1/2 a block off. Went out and got in the car and started driving, it tracked me immediately using Bing maps. I downloaded Google Nav last night and used it on the way to work. Same thing -- a little off in the house when I started Nav, but by the time I had driven 30 ft, it locked on to me and navigated me all the way to the office without any problem.

If the GPS is all that is holding you back from this phone, I'd say get it. You'll be fine (and if not, there's the 30 day return period).

Upvote 0
My GPS is fine no matter how you have the Location settings set up, including having JUST GPS on.

Using GPS Test, I can see a number of GPS satellites and I get a pretty strong signal from all of them. Guess I got lucky?

Here's the question -
1. Turn your phone off
2. Turn it back on again
3. Try to locate your position
4. How close is it to where you actually are?
5. How long does it take to come within about 10 feet of where you're standing - from off?

Upvote 0
Here's the question -
1. Turn your phone off
2. Turn it back on again
3. Try to locate your position
4. How close is it to where you actually are?
5. How long does it take to come within about 10 feet of where you're standing - from off?

I'd say it's close within 25-50 feet? I'm actually not sure how to tell when its within 10 feet, is there a better method? I'm just turning on the satellite layer and zooming in as much as possible and deciding where the arrow is in relation to me.

It takes a minute or two tops from a clean reboot to find satellites, but so does my HTC Incredible (it's rainy and cloudy here). My Garmin takes like 5-10 minutes, and requires me to constantly click to keep scanning. So at least to me its a vastly more usable..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones