• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PhoneMyPC = awesome

Hello,

Let's fix that "No Hosts" issue.

First, on your PC, double-click the PhoneMyPC icon in the System Tray. Look at the title of the settings window that opens.

If it shows (Connecting...) or (Could not connect), then the app cannot connect to our servers. Windows Firewall and your router are likely culprits. Be sure to add an exception to let PhoneMyPC connect "out" on port 49200. This port number will soon change to 443 and it should be rare for a router/firewall to block that.

If it shows (Connected), then the problem is the user name or password you entered--they do not match. I recommend that you pick something simple to test with, and re-enter them both on both devices.

Let us know!

Upvote 0
Absolutely love the app. Bought it back in the early beta days when it was buggy as ****. But now it's flawless, and incredible.

Just something I'd like to see on their website, a list of possible 'Execute Actions'. I'm having trouble working out what to type into the text box for actions such as shut down, close window etc. The only one I've managed to get working is windows lock, which is rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation, and open specific programs like chrome.exe

Upvote 0
@shawn1224,

This is most often caused by a mismatch between the Phone and PC application versions. Both should now be 1.0.16, and the Phone should show a version label of "18".

If the versions match, here's another fix that sometimes is required.

Stop PhoneMyPC from running
1) Right-click PhoneMyPC icon in the system tray
2) Choose Exit

Make PhoneMyPC run as an admistrator
1) Locate both PhoneMyPC shortcuts in your Start-menu
One is under Start, Programs, SoftwareForMe
One is under Start, Programs, Startup
2) Right-click each Shortcut
3) Choose Properties
4) Check the box that says "Run as Adminstrator"

Re-run PhoneMyPC from one of these shortcuts, and try again.

@abs123,

No, it cannot wake a sleeping laptop. In order to connect to your PC, your PC must at least have some CPU resources available and the Network interface needs to be alive. It will be possible to do some form of Wake On LAN in the future, but we have not gotten that far yet.

About refunding: since we didn't see this thread quickly, you may have already. If you'd like to try again, feel free and we'll refund for you if it doesn't work out.

Please, everybody, if you have issues, email us. We try to find and follow all the threads in forums, but it just isn't possible. We are very responsive to email, and when you have an issue or question, it is always an engineer that answers.

Reactions: melissab
Upvote 0
Just bought this app today after seeing it in a random list of just downloaded programs on Androlib. I love that feature on Androlib, btw, as I've followed some of those randoms before to see what others are downloading and I find the darnedest apps. Like PhonemyPC. After reading some reviews and going to the developers website, I thought it best to jump on the beta price before it goes out of beta...whenever that is. I figure this app is worth even more than $9.99.

It is SOOOOOOOOO worth it. I love this app. I was astounded at how easily and quickly it installed and was showing my computer within seconds. It was freaky. Now I've just got to learn how to use the controls better, but I found the "Help" section easily in menu and can see it is well documented. Thumbs way up on this one. And I'm also satisfied with the discussion on security I read here along with their future implementation of SSL.

Upvote 0
Just bought this app today after seeing it in a random list of just downloaded programs on Androlib. I love that feature on Androlib, btw, as I've followed some of those randoms before to see what others are downloading and I find the darnedest apps. Like PhonemyPC. After reading some reviews and going to the developers website, I thought it best to jump on the beta price before it goes out of beta...whenever that is. I figure this app is worth even more than $9.99.

It is SOOOOOOOOO worth it. I love this app. I was astounded at how easily and quickly it installed and was showing my computer within seconds. It was freaky. Now I've just got to learn how to use the controls better, but I found the "Help" section easily in menu and can see it is well documented. Thumbs way up on this one. And I'm also satisfied with the discussion on security I read here along with their future implementation of SSL.

Glad you like it. It is still one of my favorites.

Upvote 0
great app, but when watching anything in media player full screen, this app doesnt work and just comes up with a blank black screen. apart from that very good though

If you read this whole thread, you'll see that SoftwareForMe has posted a fix for this. However, keep in mind that you won't have any sound as they haven't implemented that feature yet. Here's what was said:

3) Video
Someone mentioned using an RDP program to watch video, but getting no image.
RDP isn't a great choice for video usually, but in all cases (including PhoneMyPC), here's something to consider:

Remoting apps use one of an array of techniques to discover what is on your PC's screen(s) and send that data to your phone. In all cases (PhoneMyPC, RDP, VNC), the apps get their knowledge from Windows.

However, most video apps never give the video stream to Windows, but rather send it directly to the video card for decoding/display.

Have you ever tried to take a screen-shot (using the Print Screen button) of a movie player? Likely you got a black box where the video should be.

To resolve this issue when using a remote app, look for the settings on your movie player and disable all Hardware Acceleration for video. This way the image data will go through Windows, and the remoting app (and Print Screen) feature will have access to it. On today's PC's, you won't notice any real performance difference

Upvote 0
@Nismo,

Zooming is easy! You can use two-finger zooming (on most phones...let us know which you have).

If pinch/stretch zoom doesn't work, the volume controls are mapped to zoom in/out by default, but you can configure other buttons for them, including the on-screen buttons, by using the settings.

We have also added a zoom-zone on the side of the screen for phones on which our multi-touch doesn't work and for people who prefer it.

Upvote 0
I read through most of the posts on this thread, but there is one thing nagging me about this software that simply will not allow me to install it on my PC, ever! And it seems that nobody has caught it, or if they have, nobody's mentioned it...

Follow the logic here, alright?

1)This software can be used to connect to my PC from my android, in such a way that the PC User has no idea that someone is connected, right?

2)This software establishes it's connection using a username and password to login to the developer's website.

3)The software is limited to 3 PCs to "limit server load", meaning data is routed through the developer's website and to my Droid. It is through this mechanism that my PC is now being controlled by my Android...

Ok, following that logic, that means that the website developer (or anyone who happens to hack the developer's website, or any administrator of the website's servers, or the developer's best friend's 4 year old kid) could potentially connect to my computer, without my knowing, and have full access to everything stored on my machine, as well as full control of my PC...

I don't care if the software is updated to have the login process use SSL, or SSH, or whatever... The link between a website (run by an administrator that I do not know or trust implicitly) and the complete and total control of my computer and the data it contains, without any kind of notification or knowledge, is completely unacceptable...

The entire basis of the way this software works leaves a huge gaping security hole that any sane person would not even consider allowing...

That's my $.02

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones