• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PhoneMyPC = awesome

I read through most of the posts on this thread, but there is one thing nagging me about this software that simply will not allow me to install it on my PC, ever! And it seems that nobody has caught it, or if they have, nobody's mentioned it...

I don't care if the software is updated to have the login process use SSL, or SSH, or whatever... The link between a website (run by an administrator that I do not know or trust implicitly) and the complete and total control of my computer and the data it contains, without any kind of notification or knowledge, is completely unacceptable...

The entire basis of the way this software works leaves a huge gaping security hole that any sane person would not even consider allowing...

That's my $.02

Agreed.

Upvote 0
The entire basis of the way this software works leaves a huge gaping security hole that any sane person would not even consider allowing...

That's my $.02

Make sure you don't use e-mail either, who knows when your e-mail server is going to get hacked and you would never know it was happening.

:rolleyes:

Assuming we don't know how this software works is silly. If we were paranoid about a company breaking into our computers we wouldn't be using a cellphone for remote access to begin with.

Upvote 0
Make sure you don't use e-mail either, who knows when your e-mail server is going to get hacked and you would never know it was happening.

:rolleyes:

Assuming we don't know how this software works is silly. If we were paranoid about a company breaking into our computers we wouldn't be using a cellphone for remote access to begin with.

The reason for my post was primarily to inform the less-than-knowledgeable average computer user of the risk that they are taking by installing this software. It's pretty obvious that a decent percentage of people who use this app (and ones like it - android or otherwise) don't really understand the security implications. I specifically targeted this thread because this application not only has the normal remote-access security flaws that some others have, but it's designed not to inform the user of the PC being controlled that it's in fact being controlled.

It's not paranoia. It's minimizing risk. I could probably stand in the back of a pickup truck, going down the highway at 70mph, while holding onto the rollbar a thousand times and be just fine with no injuries, but doing something so stupid without thinking of the possible repercussions COULD get me killed. Am I paranoid because I wouldn't stand in the back of a pickup truck while it's going down the highway? No. I'm being smart and minimizing unnecessary risk.

Thousands and thousands of people per day get their identity stolen. This would be an excellent way to do that. Make this cool app, make it completely transparent, allow it to take over a computer, and mine it for personal financial information. Were I an identity thief, this is what I would do!

If the software were open-sourced (so I know there's nothing untoward going on), and set up to connect directly to my home PC using encryption (so I know the data can't be read during transmission), then something like this might be useful.

And as for e-mail, my personal financial information, home banking, credit card numbers, social security number, etc are not going through my e-mail server (but they may be accessible through my home PC). I understand that e-mail is inherently insecure, so the information that I put through e-mail is adjusted accordingly. Banks and financial institutions also are aware of how insecure e-mail is, which is why they will never e-mail your Debit card PIN number or your full credit card number to you! it's also why online stores won't put your whole credit card number in the copy of the invoice that they e-mail you after you make an online purchase!

-ET

Upvote 0
Nearly 4 months for a temporary reduction in security and a "limited time" offer on price? Come on now. Are you working for HTC or something?

What is the ETA for a) a final release (even in Q2/Q3 terms would be handy) and b) for patching up the security (which besides all your talk above I'm still not convinced of - my machine, my problem so please don't go round the arguments again - just an ETA).

Upvote 0
Hi there, I am curious if there is any news of an update. Right now I can't use this app at work because my company firewall is probably blocking port 49200. A few months ago it was said that there would be a switch back to port 443, which is hardly ever blocked by company firewalls. Any idea when we can expect that? The app works great for me on my home laptop, but I purchased it because I want to access my corporate PC when I'm out.

regards,

Stigt

Upvote 0
Hi there, I am curious if there is any news of an update. Right now I can't use this app at work because my company firewall is probably blocking port 49200. A few months ago it was said that there would be a switch back to port 443, which is hardly ever blocked by company firewalls. Any idea when we can expect that? The app works great for me on my home laptop, but I purchased it because I want to access my corporate PC when I'm out.

regards,

Stigt
better make sure you're allowed to do that on a company-owned pc. where i work, that's against policy and will get your butt walked out the door.

Upvote 0
anyone else seeing an issue with the latest update causing their computers to lock up AFTER the first use?

I've had it happen six times now. only happens the 2nd time after a reboot, never the first. Both PC and Phone app were updated to the latest version and that's when the issue began occurring.

And yes I uninstalled the old version of the PC software before installing the new version as suggested on the website. I can connect and log in the first time. the second time I connect and log in it pulls up the desktop, then locks. I get home and the entire computer is locked up.

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

Upvote 0
8 months and counting, what do you consider "shouldn't be long"?

I'm very sorry for our delay, and for not being more available on the forums. We've had our heads buried in code for many months now.

But, the new release is out!

It includes the first release of audio support (not only can you hear the PCs audio, but you can listen to an attached mic), better Webcam support, toolbars for easy option use and a whole lot more.

For a full list of updates, see here:
Beta News SoftwareForMe.com

If you are a current customer and have updated your PC software to 2.0.2.2 (released late last year), then your PC will have been auto-updated to the latest, 2.0.2.4. If not, it is available on our site:
Quick Start SoftwareForMe.com

The Android app is 2.0.2.8 and is available on the Android Market and SlideMe.org.

Consequently, the delay was largely because of bug fixes and an issue we found with our network protocol. It didn't quite fit well for audio and we didn't discover this until we got it working. However, we have a network protocol rewrite in progress that will resolve that, and in the mean time, we managed to retrofit it enough to get audio in this release with the current protocol.

You will find the program much improved :)

Upvote 0
And you don't mind using a third party to access your PC?:eek:
I'll pay $5 and keep it between me and my phone.

If their servers are down, so is your access.
I use team viewer from more places than my phone. It's not as if they are watching me (oh no, they saw my paper for my English final, those bastards!) since the program terminates after I finish doing what I need to do. You might want to do some more reading before you do some more bashing: TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones