• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phones and Costs

mdside71

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
Metro's phones appear to be going to lower quality, and at a higher cost with exception to the L70. Great phone, just can't root it. So if rooting is a big deal to you avoid this phone.

It is sad when you can get a better phone by paying cash through T-Mobile and do the BYOD to Metro. If they have truly merged then why can't i just get these phones through metro.

I am sorry but a Google Nexsus 5 is way better than a Samsung S4, and is less costly. You can even get a Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile for over 100 dollars Less than what one costs through Metro.

Just food for thought. I think Metro needs to come down on their phone costs, and stop getting phones with locked bootloaders.

IMO if your buying a phone cash you should be able to root it, or it should come prerooted so you can choose what apps to keep or what apps to get rid of.

IMO if your buying a phone cash you should be able to root it, or it should come prerooted so you can choose what apps to keep or what apps to get rid of.
You can do a lot of damage to a phone if it's rooted and you don't know what you're doing. They you'll scream when they tell you that they're not going to fix it under warranty, because the warranty doesn't cover misuse.

Upvote 0
The S4 from t-mobile is $502 and from metro $500? Metro gets most of t-mobile's low and mid spec phones because that's what most buy. Probably not worth the cost of setting up to produce the phone when only a handful of people are going to buy them and most of the people that would've bought those phones have moved to BYOD.
Lots of people try to get a warranty claim after rooting there phones and messing up like saying it messed up during a SW update.

You even stated that in another thread.

Upvote 0
Dont buy phones with locked bootloaders, that means anything on verizon, select AT&T phones, ALL devices from LG, Huawei and Kyocera.

root is a breeze is you have an unlocked device, a quick google search would have told you LG locks bootloaders.

Shabby, what about this new ZTE Concord II? I'm not planning on getting it, since I just got myself a Moto G. I'm curious about it though.

Upvote 0
The S4 from t-mobile is $502 and from metro $500? Metro gets most of t-mobile's low and mid spec phones because that's what most buy. Probably not worth the cost of setting up to produce the phone when only a handful of people are going to buy them and most of the people that would've bought those phones have moved to BYOD.
Lots of people try to get a warranty claim after rooting there phones and messing up like saying it messed up during a SW update.

You even stated that in another thread.

100% correct. the best selling phone on metro isnt the s4 or s5 its the l70. sure some people want the higher end phones and they offer them for actually cheaper than retail but the cheapies sell the best. as for the n5 being a better device than the s4 thats debatable. the camera is way better on the s4. for some people thats more important than updates straight from google. also some people find plain android boring. theres reasons that nexus devices are never top sellers. its all personal preference.

Upvote 0
Metro's phones appear to be going to lower quality, and at a higher cost with exception to the L70. Great phone, just can't root it. So if rooting is a big deal to you avoid this phone.

It is sad when you can get a better phone by paying cash through T-Mobile and do the BYOD to Metro. If they have truly merged then why can't i just get these phones through metro.

I am sorry but a Google Nexsus 5 is way better than a Samsung S4, and is less costly. You can even get a Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile for over 100 dollars Less than what one costs through Metro.

Just food for thought. I think Metro needs to come down on their phone costs, and stop getting phones with locked bootloaders.

your half right, price way the nexus isn't a bad phone and spec wise, it's not better then an S4 though.

Upvote 0
100% correct. the best selling phone on metro isnt the s4 or s5 its the l70. sure some people want the higher end phones and they offer them for actually cheaper than retail but the cheapies sell the best. as for the n5 being a better device than the s4 thats debatable. the camera is way better on the s4. for some people thats more important than updates straight from google. also some people find plain android boring. theres reasons that nexus devices are never top sellers. its all personal preference.

that's pretty much my point as well, the Xperia Z1s was plain jane too, had an awesome camera, but still, very bland

Upvote 0
Well i have returned my L70 again. Same issues as before. Even with a root method out for it now. Still have random crashes. Still randomly sends text in some asian language.

Metro Corp store in Clearwater, FL has been very good to me. I must admit they are quite willing to help out as much as possible. Now i am just waiting for them to drop the price of the Mega, or S4. Once that happens i will be done once again with LG, and be back to my trusted Samsung products.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones