Phones freezes at Motorola screen after installing new kernel

Last Updated:

1. deathmonger87

deathmonger87 Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I am running Bugless Beast v0.9 (although when I go into Phone Info it says "Build number Bugless Beast 1.2"). Anyway, I downloaded the Chevy 5 slot 1GHz kernel and named it update.zip and when I install it says it's installing fine but when I go to reboot my phone freezes up at the Motorola screen. I have even tried changing to frequencies supported by the kernel (250, 550) but it still won't work...keeps freezing.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to this and nobody else seems to be having this problem based on what I've seen while searching.

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I'm confused. How can you change the settings if your phone freezes at the boot screen? :confused: Is this an intermittent problem?

3. deathmonger87

I have to pull the battery and then hold x and power to go back into nandroid and restore my backup. Otherwise the phone won't start up. Sorry, I hope that clarifies my problem...I have a bad habit of being terrible at conveying these things lol

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

You may need to try a different kernel, as your phone clearly doesn't like it.

That's the main reason why I didn't try the new version... for a "bugless" ROM it sure has been reported as buggy :/

I am running BB0.7, Chevy 5-slot and it's smooth as silk. But try a different kernel and see how that works. That's the best advice I can think of...

5. deathmonger87

I was afraid of this :(

And since I'll be going down a version I can't just do an update.zip I'm assuming? I really don't want to download all my apps and fix my settings again lol

6. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to wipe going down a version since it's the same build. Didn't you do a nandroid back up before flashing? Just restore it if so.. But when going down a version since it's the same build and everything I DON'T THINK you have to wipe. Can anyone confirm this?

7. deathmonger87

Yes, I did a backup before flashing but since then I have acquired a lot more stuff and changed some things. I don't know, to me it's just a PITA. I've read that others have had no problems putting the Chevy kernels on their v0.9 though so I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong or missing something here...

Anyway to change the kernels in the BB zip file to the Chevy ones and then just reflash BB? I'm not even sure what to look for when doing that...I'm not quite that advanced of a computer user lol

8. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

I like to turn off the "Set on Boot" option in SetCPU before I flash a new kernel to avoid bootloops/freezing/melting/etc.