Phones4U How are they?

Last Updated:

1. confuzzled

confuzzled Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unsure on whether to buy from MobilePhonesDirect on T-Mobile or from Phones4U on Orange. Same mins, texts etc.

So at the end of the day the things that will swing me will be the provider and the store.

So, How are phones4u? Has anyone had any experience with them? What are they like?

TY VM

Advertisement
  2. pete borota

pete borota Active Member

There nickname is "phones for fools". Need I say more!! If there is no difference in the price plan of orange or t-mobile then go with the providers. Better service and all you're doing is going through an indirect channel to get your phone.

Still with the big boys!!

3. PawPaw

PawPaw Well-Known Member

I used them in the past and got a good deal but i also was given duff information which ended up costing me money. They told me that if i got a 18 month contract with them they would pay off the difference after 12 months if i wanted to change. Sounded good and i got a new phone on

4. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

T-mobile +1

5. punky

punky Well-Known Member

The Orange phone is ridiculously branded. They have renamed all the apps "Orange Internet", "Orange Maps", etc. There are game demos and shortcuts which allegedly people can't get rid of. All the icons are Orange.

If you get a good T-Mobile signal then i'd go for the MPD. Even if its a branded T-Mobile phone its not too bad.

6. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

yeah the tmobile leaves it mostly untouched, all it does it write a tiny WnW sign near the browser icon, not noticeable at all )

7. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

Phones4U are bloody awful, just bought my Desire from them on Wednesday and they told me they were throwing in free mobile dongle, free SIMs, free insurance etc - turns out when I asked what I was signing they just barefaced lied to me.

Somewhat my fault as I should have paid more attention, but they basically signed me up for multiple contracts, gave me a pre-written letter to cancel them, then handed me the 1 month line rental at the till.

This seems to be a ploy for them to get more sign ups, thus looking like they are performing better than they are.

8. pete borota

I would sign up with T-mobile. They will merge their network with orange. Plus they have a joint agreement with 3 and they share 3G coverage UK wide. Between them and the orange deal they will have the most complete network in the UK by the year end.

9. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

T-Mobile and Orange will be retaining existing identities for at least 18 months post completion of the deal (which hasn't been completed yet). I wouldn't hold my breath for any customer facing changes for at least a year or so.

10. pete borota

Legal day one between the two companies was signed April 1st, They will formally be operational together 1st July. Their networks will be roaming free of charge within the year.

Customer facing changes will not happen for around 9 months but there will be two separate brands. Maybe even beyond 18 months.

11. confuzzled

confuzzled Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers people, Alot of helpful answers. ;)

12. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Avoid phones4u, they're staffed by dodgy lying crooks IME.

Never met an honest staff member there ever. Their adverts also suggest that they can help 'simple people' and facebook "friend whores" find great deals.

Hardly a positive invitation to use them is it?