• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photaf - Create a 3D panorama

I really want this to work... but it doesn't seem to work in Auto mode. I get the beep and wait for it to snap the shot, then move the phone in the direction the arrow is pointing. But it never beeps again.

If I don't use auto, it will stitch the shot (though I never hear a beep. Should I?). There was some ghosting on a couple of frame, but I just did a quick test and my technique may need to improve.

Upvote 0
I really want this to work... but it doesn't seem to work in Auto mode. I get the beep and wait for it to snap the shot, then move the phone in the direction the arrow is pointing. But it never beeps again.

If I don't use auto, it will stitch the shot (though I never hear a beep. Should I?). There was some ghosting on a couple of frame, but I just did a quick test and my technique may need to improve.

Hi, I think you don't hear the beep, because there might be a problem with your phone's compass. Maybe you need to calibrate it.

I had this problem once, what I did was, while in camera taking mode (In Photaf) I moved the phone in an eight figure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

And then try to move the camera to take the panoramic.

This might be a bug in the phone's firmware, and might require that you do it every time :/

Tell me if that works for you.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to set the resolution of the photos higher?
My panoramas are a bit fuzzy, they look lower res than the
Photos that I take with the camera app???

Is this a side effect of the stitching process?

It would be great If we could get the panoramas a bit higher res.

great app btw thanks.

You can make sure to check the Autofocus in the settings.
It can help give your more sharper pictures.

I can increase the resolution, but it will make the stitching process much longer, and there might be a memory problem on some devices.
Since this is Android and I need to support high and low end devices, it's hard to make an app that will work best on all of them :)

I will consider adding a high-res mode in the application settings, that will be disabled by default.

And Thanks for using my App!

Upvote 0
You can make sure to check the Autofocus in the settings.
It can help give your more sharper pictures.

I can increase the resolution, but it will make the stitching process much longer, and there might be a memory problem on some devices.
Since this is Android and I need to support high and low end devices, it's hard to make an app that will work best on all of them :)

I will consider adding a high-res mode in the application settings, that will be disabled by default.

And Thanks for using my App!
i'm looking forward to see the high-res. with a high res additional function, your app will be perfect :D:D

Reactions: Obg1
Upvote 0
great app! i also really want that option to take highres pics :) and one thing i thought would be nice is about sharing! now i can share the panorama to facebook and send it via bluetooth but is there a way to share the whole flash of the panorama? i mean so my friends could see it on facebook and look around in my photo like in Photaf site? if i don

Upvote 0
syrjajo,
I'm working on adding an optional HD mode for Photaf.
It will be optional because some devices aren't strong enough to handle Hi-Res images and stitching time will take longer to complete.

unfortunately Facebook doesn't allow embedding flash at their site, but I'm working on a Facebook App that will integrate better with Facebook.

I'm also planing on integrating it better with Facebook, so you can upload panorama using your Facebook account and view and delete only your panoramas.

Upvote 0
this sounds good, been looking for an app like this for a while.

i will have a go with it and report back in a couple of days :) will purchase if it delivers.

nice to see an active developer in the forums too.

from the samples linked above, i can already suggest export to animated .gif would be an awesome feature if at all possible.

Upvote 0
walked down to the harbour and had a go

Photaf 3D Panorama - Sydney harbour

it's very promising if you do it carefully it is definitely usable.

the problem is sharing the panoramas with people, wish it would just spit out a media link so you could embed onto forums, emails, websites, etc. this could be a feature for the paid version as the photos would have to be hosted somewhere?

i dunno, but top work! :)

Reactions: Obg1
Upvote 0
Some users had issues with it on the WildFire,
But there were users who had no problems with it.
Maybe it depends on the Rom they are using.
Try it and let me know if there are problem, I don't have this device
for testing so I'll be happy if users can help me by sending logs.

Email me if you are having any problem.

Upvote 0
Can someone help me ? when i open up the app and click ''create'' it asks for the file name but no matter what i enter it says ''file name not valid'' what do i do ? some1 please help tanks

I have the same problem! When I click the Create Panorama button, I get the following message:

Error
Cannot create file, make sure to use a valid file name

The default file name does not even work. A single letter does not work. Does it require an SD card to be installed first? I have Photaf installed on a Verizon HTC Incredible. Android 2.2. I have 4.50 GB of free internal memory. I have not been able to use the app at all, which is sad because it looked pretty cool. :(

Upvote 0
I have the same problem! When I click the Create Panorama button, I get the following message:

Error
Cannot create file, make sure to use a valid file name

The default file name does not even work. A single letter does not work. Does it require an SD card to be installed first? I have Photaf installed on a Verizon HTC Incredible. Android 2.2. I have 4.50 GB of free internal memory. I have not been able to use the app at all, which is sad because it looked pretty cool. :(

Photaf requires an SD card to save the images. Sometimes if you device is connected to your computer via the usb cable, the SD card becomes unavailable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones