1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Photo orientation wrong?

Last Updated:

1. Skyfall

Skyfall Active Member This Topic's Starter

It's not a massive issue but does anyone else have problems sometimes with photos coming out in the wrong orientation... For example:

If I hold the phone like this and take the pic:

[​IMG]

It comes out this way:

[​IMG]

I know I can rotate them but I was just a bit mystified.

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

that has to be annoying. For myself, I haven't had that issue. Seems to understand what's up. There might be an issue with your accelerometer or the camera app?

3. droidros

droidros Well-Known Member

Some of my landscape pictures come out upside down -- but ALL my portrait pictures come out with the wrong orientation - they are in landscape and I have to rotate each one. I am using the Samsung Galaxy S5. I never had this problem with my old phone, Droid Razr Maxx HD.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I found that as well, with all phones. It's because if you point the camera straight down at the subject, sometimes called "rostrum photography", the phone doesn't really know which way to orientate, because down, i.e. gravity, is pointing straight at the subject here. Rather than if you were shooting straight ahead, and then vertical(portrait) or horizontal(landscape) mode become obvious and can be sensed by the phone to orientate the pictures correctly.

Some camera apps might have an orientation lock feature on them, so if you're doing a lot of this vertical photography, maybe able to fix it either in landscape or portrait mode.

I sometimes take pictures of documents flat on table, camera pointing down, and any that are wrongly orientated I just rotate them with two fingers in the Photos app, and they stay correct then.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015