Photo resolution after transfer to pc problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. SLT4x4

SLT4x4 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,this is my first android,I love it.I have the camera resolution set to superfine(5mp) and it takes really good pics.However,when I transfer them to my laptop and try to view them with the windows photo viewer they aren't anywhere near the resolution I took them in.Is there something I did or not doing ?,I took a 5mp Pic,transferred it to my pc and it showed up at less than 15kb in size when it should have been like 2-3 megs.Thank You in advance for any help and time you can spare.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

How are you transferring them to your laptop?

There's info on the Captivate FAQ which applies here:

Media - CapFAQ

3. SLT4x4

I transfer from my Phone/SD Card Via USB through the Mass Storage Selection,which was tough to figure out at first.

4. sremick

Well the /sdcard/DCIM/ folder contains the original, full-resolution photos taken with your Captivate's camera. What's the size of the images in this folder, as seen from the PC while connected via USB but before you copy them over?

If these files are full-size then there's no reason they should suddenly shrink when performing a drag-and-drop copy.

5. SLT4x4

Something is happening,The size of the photo details on the phone are 1627kb at 2560x1929 resolution,but after transferred to the PC(Windows 7) they only come out at 15kb.Is this Strange ?

6. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Are you using some kind of Win/7 "sync" or utility vs. just straight up copying them?

7. SLT4x4

just a straight copy right from the SD Card,I dont like to use the windows utilities,Ive always done everything using the mass storage option its much easier.Im not sure whats going on but my samsung jack has no issues transferring pics in fullsize,I was just hoping it was a simple solution of me being a noob to the Android and having a wrong setting

8. sremick

Well, like I said before: a straight file copy should not change the file size. It should not change the file at all. This is a fundamental OS function.

It's not a matter of being an "Android newbie". Once you hook the device to your Windows desktop via USB mass storage and it's appearing as just another drive letter, everything beyond that is a Windows usage/environment issue.

There's something more going on in your environment than the information you're providing allows us to discern. Confirm this by hooking your phone to a different PC and trying the same thing.

9. SLT4x4

Sorry for the long delay we had a week long battle with bad weather that knocked out my internet and home phone service.

I tried the same transfer with my desktop which is also running windows 7 as well and the very same problem is occurring.I took a few pics over thanksgiving at 5 mega pixels and I did a straight copy from my SD Card to the desktop.... They went from 5mp to around 117kb on an average after the transfer..... the manual doesn't help at all and Ive been through the camera settings time and again with no change.....maybe I should call Samsung or AT&T ?

10. sremick

Well it's not a Windows 7 thing as I have copied files using a Win7 desktop at home and not had this issue.

Your Captivate's USB mode is just set to "Mass storage", correcT?