Photo Tagging Issue.Support

Last Updated:

1. SLR 722

SLR 722 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone.

I have noticed an issue with photo tagging since getting the Droid X.

When taking pictures with tags enabled, sometimes the tags are correct; at other times, it is completely off. For example, I took several pictures of a car. When I looked at the tags, the photos were actually tagged to 3 several locations (this included the correct location). 2 of those tages included another town and another branch of it (Eg. East, West, etc.). On another occasion, I took several photos of another car, this time in my home town. When I looked at the tags for those, none of them were tagged in my location but to another town.

I am not quite sure what the problem is, or how I can resolve it. If it's possibly user error, I'm not sure what I am doing that's causing this issue. If someone can offer a solution or any help, I would most certainly appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. SLR 722

SLR 722 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Bump

3. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Was GPS turned on? If not, I believe, the phone uses the nearest cell tower(s) to decide the location for tags. The closest cell towers may be 5 miles away, thus giving you a faulty location.

I'm not sure, but the location program would use cell towers in either two ways. Either it uses cell tower triangulation to find your location and uses that info as an overlay on Google Maps to choose a tag or possibly the cell towers transmits it's location info and the phone uses that info as a tag. Either way, this would explain incorrect tags. And if there are not enough cell towers to perform a triangulation, it may leave the tag blank.

I have had the same problems you described when taking photos without GPS turned on. With GPS turned on, I have much better luck with correct location tags.

SLR 722 likes this.
  4. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

If you don't have GPS enabled, it could be a little off, but not a Lot.

Make sure you have the locations settings turned on:

"Settings" -> "Location & Security"
    Check the following:
    - "Use Wireless Networks"
    - "Use GPS Satellites"
    - "Enable Assisted GPS"

SLR 722 likes this.