• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photon vs epic 4g touch data reception

jahada510

Lurker
Dec 27, 2011
ok so i have the epic touch getting an average of .5 mbps 3g and dont really pick up 4g, when i do it gets around 1.2 mbps. now people say the photon gets better reception, is that just for call quality? or just when making phone calls?

i know the epic touch is faster, better camera, and battery but im more concered with data speeds. will the photon make it that much better or am i just getting bad sprint coverage? im still in time to return the phone and sprint service if im not satisfied. metro pcs is getting the same data speeds as my sprint service. so if the photon does not make that much of a differnce i will just switch to metro pcs.

thanks in advance

Lots of things to consider w/your situation.I'll try to give as unbiased an opinion as possible.

Most here in the MO PHORUM are pleased w/just about every aspect of their phone,w/the biggest plusses being call quality & signal strength for data usage.Battery life is actually very nice on the PHOTON also,not to mention the many docking/webtop options.If you're on the fence as for SPRINT or METRO PCS,you might wanna take a look at both SPRINT & MOTOROLA websites for info & video demonstrations of these features.

If that doesn't interest you & signal quality is about the same as METRO PCS in your area & are looking to save some money on your monthly bill,you may want to look at the LG ESTEEM w/METRO PCS.
It's got a lot of positive feedback & a lot of aftermarket developer support for customizing the phone w/various tweaks to improve the overall experience.Not that this is necessary,as this is a great phone right out of the box.

If you still have time to try out the PHOTON & are able to return it if you're not satisfied w/the experience, it's well worth a shot,but,I'm betting that you'll end up keeping the MO PHO.

Reactions: jahada510
Upvote 0
My guess is the PHOTON is significantly better than the EPIC 4G TOUCH in signal strength for data & call quality,it's one of the strong points that MOTOROLA is known for.Check some of the other MOTOROLA phone forums here @ A/F & they'll probably echo this sentiment,w/the DROID RAZR being the latest from MOTOROLA(on VERIZON) :-(

Upvote 0
ok so i have the epic touch getting an average of .5 mbps 3g and dont really pick up 4g, when i do it gets around 1.2 mbps. now people say the photon gets better reception, is that just for call quality? or just when making phone calls?

i know the epic touch is faster, better camera, and battery but im more concered with data speeds. will the photon make it that much better or am i just getting bad sprint coverage? im still in time to return the phone and sprint service if im not satisfied. metro pcs is getting the same data speeds as my sprint service. so if the photon does not make that much of a differnce i will just switch to metro pcs.

thanks in advance

Let us know which phone you opt for & share your experience w/us. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.so the photon will have better data reception.will it make a huge difference our just a slight one?

I've had a Photon and I now have Galaxy S2 and my sister also has the Photon now. The Photon does get a moderately better signal and data speeds (only on 3G & 4G, not on WiFi) BUT the Galaxy S2's browser is still faster than the Photon's even with about 2x more kb/s. I've also never dropped a call with SGS2 and it always sounds crystal clear so I have no problems with signal. And with Juice Defender, battery life is topnotch.

https://plus.google.com/105695913092971754530/posts

This phone is the best phone available IMO, the only Android phone I've used that is virtually lag-free. I wouldn't trade it for the world. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones