• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Photos from PC to Droid? What folder?

groovygramma

Lurker
Feb 11, 2010
I have a couple of questions here. I understand how to get my family photos from my PC to my Moto Droid, but when you say drag/drop them to the folder on the sd card ... ???? WHAT FOLDER? Do I create a folder and if so ... HOW do I do that? Second, what the heck is all the talk about ROOT? What does ROOT mean? I'm an old lady and I'm trying to understand all this technology. I keep seeing the word ROOT and talk about a phone being ROOTED .... at my age, I'm trying to stay GROUNDED !!! Anyway, can someone please help me out. Also ... can you please email me back at [removed] ... because I'm not sure how I even got this far on this website .... Like I said .... I'm an old lady.
Thanks for helping me ....

Hi, gg, and welcome to the forums.

First of all, let me start out by saying that for security's sake, NEVER post your email address in a public message like this. It makes it was easier to get spammers on your trail sending you spam and other types of malicious emails.

Now that that has been said, here is what you need to do.

First of all, you need to know what version of Windows you are running. Specifically, we need to know if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit. In order to see, press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard, and while holding also press the Pause key (If you're on a laptop, you may need to also press and hold the Fn key to access Pause.

This will pop up an information box on Windows telling you what version of Windows you're running - including 32bit or 64bit (specifically, XP may not say 32bit explicitly, but if it does *not* say 64bit then you're 32bit).

Now, go to USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA and get the appropriate drivers from the first two links, corresponding to the version of Windows you have (IOW, if you have 32bit, get the 32bit driver, and if you have 64bit, get he 64bit driver).

Download the file, then open it in Windows Explorer and run the file inside.

Once you have finished installing the file, the drivers you need are now on your computer. Now we can get started with the next part.

You'll need:

• your computer,
  • your DROID,
  • the USB cable that came with the phone (but not the wall charger plug part).

Connect it all together, using a USB port on your computer, and then you'll get a message saying new device, followed by (possibly) a notification that drivers are being installed, and finally a notification that your new device is ready to use. However, it really isn't - not yet.

Now, in order, these are the steps that you need to follow:

Go to the notification tab on your DROID (or else press the Menu key, then select Notifications. When that notification bar slides down, you should see a section entitled USB connected:

Mounting USB #1.jpg

Press on it and it will bring up a Popup on your phone telling you that the USB has been connected, and asking if you want to mount your SDCard.

Mounting USB #2.jpg

Select Mount. Now, on your computer, you may get an Autoplay notification that a new device has been connected:

Mounting USB #3.jpg

If so, then you're ready to go, just make sure you select the option that says Open folder to view files.

If you don't get the Autoplay notification, then, after waiting a few moments, you should be able to open Windows Explorer and see a new drive letter that was not there before under My Computer, such as F:, H:, or P: (mine is P:):

Mounting USB #4.jpg

At this point, you just double click that new drive, and you should then see a bunch of folders on there (they may not be the same as the ones I have on mine):

Mounting USB #5.jpg

Now you can copy the different folders of pictures from your computer to this 'drive', which is actually the microSD Card that is installed in your phone. The copying process may take a while, because the connection is slow, so bear with it.

THE NEXT TWO STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO PREVENT LOSING YOUR DATA

OK, so now that you have finished copying your pics, you need to dismount (unmount) your SDCard so your DROID can see the card again.

Pull down the notification bar on your phone again like before, and you should see a section titled Turn off USB storage:

Mounting USB #6.jpg

Press that, and then you'll get a popup on your phone that says Turn off USB storage:

Mounting USB #7.jpg

Press Turn Off.

Now you're done.

Some words of advice - try making a new folder on the SDCard called Pictures or Photos or something like that, and then copying folders of pictures inside that folder that you made so it stays relatively easy to navigate - as you can see, I have a lot of folders on mine, and eventually you may as well....

Upvote 0
Second, what the heck is all the talk about ROOT? What does ROOT mean?

Assuming that you are a casual user of your phone, Don't worry about rooting. It is a process that involves accessing the internal filesystem of the phone for various reasons, including altering the programming, replacing the operating system, etc. I personally have not done it, even though I'm confident that I could if I wanted to. I just haven't found a very good reason to bother. If not done properly, it can potentially ruin your phone, leaving you with a very expensive paperweight. It also voids your warranty. If you want to learn more about it, look at the 'all things root' subforum for more info ( and detailed instructions ).

Upvote 0
Thanks to johnlgalt for ALL of the helpful information. Thank you so very much.

You're very welcome.

Assuming that you are a casual user of your phone, Don't worry about rooting. It is a process that involves accessing the internal filesystem of the phone for various reasons, including altering the programming, replacing the operating system, etc. I personally have not done it, even though I'm confident that I could if I wanted to. I just haven't found a very good reason to bother. If not done properly, it can potentially ruin your phone, leaving you with a very expensive paperweight. It also voids your warranty. If you want to learn more about it, look at the 'all things root' subforum for more info ( and detailed instructions ).

Indeed, there are risks, but there is also a fall back as well, meaning you can easily unroot if you so desire.

I am rooted b/c I like running the latest and greatest and having my phone do things that it normally cannot....

Upvote 0
Indeed, there are risks, but there is also a fall back as well, meaning you can easily unroot if you so desire.

I am rooted b/c I like running the latest and greatest and having my phone do things that it normally cannot....

I fully agree. For those of us that are experienced and interested, rooting is fine. In the case of the OP however, a self described 'old lady' that needs advice on dragging and dropping photos to the phone, I can't recommend rooting until she gains more experience.

Upvote 0
I didn't think it was necessary to download any drivers to the PC in order to perform USB file transfers with the Droid, at least using Windows XP SP3 or Vista. I certainly didn't have to. What am I missing? :thinking:

You might have had drivers automatically installed by Windows Update - but I have found that those drivers, in fact, tend to be flaky. Using the ones from Motorola are a lot more stable, in my personal experience.

I fully agree. For those of us that are experienced and interested, rooting is fine. In the case of the OP however, a self described 'old lady' that needs advice on dragging and dropping photos to the phone, I can't recommend rooting until she gains more experience.

Agreed. I think I intended to mention that in my original reply, but I had to start all over from scratch when my long post was obliterated by the system and I left it out.

Upvote 0
You might have had drivers automatically installed by Windows Update - but I have found that those drivers, in fact, tend to be flaky. Using the ones from Motorola are a lot more stable, in my personal experience.
I'm sure the PC just uses the generic USB flash memory driver like it does for everything else that has a memory card, stick, etc. in the absence of a specific Motorola driver. I would be interested if anyone has identified additional functionality in the Motorola driver.

Upvote 0
Makes sense, as it is a standard USB micro, so it will draw whatever current the USB spec for the mobo (usually 500 ma).

Perhaps the drivers are only required for actual file transfers then / mounting SD Card.

TBH, I never tried to connect the DROID to a machine that did not have drivers on it, except once, and that was my work machine at school - and it wasn't doing anything until I installed the drivers, but I never thought to try connecting when logged in as admin to just charge.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this.

I just updated to Version 2.1 on the Droid. When I went to "turn off" the USB after moving the photos, it came up with a message that said I needed to unmount the drive, but there was no pop-up that came up.

I selected cancel, and it closed.

So, I selected it again, it did the same thing...no pop-up to unmount. Feeling brave and possibly foolish, I went ahead and closed the USB. It closed it, and the phone is fine...it seems. I viewed the pictures on the phone and all was well.

So, I'm thinking that Version 2.1 automatically un-mounts the drive, but they forgot to change the message telling you to unmount the drive. Therefore, the pop-up to un-mount the drive does not appear.

Update 3 days later. No problems with the phone.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones