Photos + MicroSD = Runs hot?Support

Last Updated:

1. JDisturbed

JDisturbed Member

I've been encountering an issue with my Z1. Whenever I load photos onto my MicroSD card (digital stills, wallpapers, etc), it makes the phone run really, REALLY hot. It sucks the battery back to the point it would be dead in hours just sitting idle. It also worries me that it could damage the phone.

So to get around it, for the time being, I mount and unmount my card as needed. I have tried two different microSD cards with the same result, so I know it's no the physical card itself.

Anyone else encounter this? Any tips? Thanks a bunch in advance :)

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I can't say I've ever noticed this before, sorry.

When you loading photos etc to the SD Card, I take it you mean when it's connected to a computer?

What about using the camera etc? That's obviously writing to the SD Card, does it happen then?
  3. JDisturbed

JDisturbed Member

Sorry, should clarify.

After I load photos onto my MicroSD card (whether it be through the phone or card reader), and then mount it on my phone, my phone starts to heat up to the point that it runs HOT, and will continue to do so until I either unmount/remove the card, or turn off the phone. Even if I just insert the card, and put the phone down idle, it will still heat up.

The small amount of photos on the internal memory that I've taken on the camera don't have any effect on it. Only when I put a bunch on the card.
  4. El Presidente

Ah, ok.

Have you let it run its course? It could be that it's scanning the card for media and once it's done it once, it will stop doing it. If it's killing your battery/getting hot, I can understand your reluctance to do that though.

What software version are you on btw? Is your phone fully up to date?

Kinda stumped tbh, it's not something I've come across before. :(
  5. JDisturbed

JDisturbed Member

Everything is up to date as far as I know. Currently running 4.4.2.

It's not just a scan. If I leave it in there for an hour, it will stay hot for an hour, and run the battery down quicker than you could imagine. It gets much hotter than it does when it's constantly being used for browsing and whatnot.
  6. El Presidente

Dependant on where you are and your network, if you plug in to your PC and open PC companion, there's an update to 4.4.4.

Both of the 4.4.2 releases were pretty buggy so if you can update, do so and you may find the problem is gone.