• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help photos not showing up

shelleee

Lurker
Jul 31, 2010
so hopefully someone can help. a few weeks ago my music player stopped recognizing my music files. saved everything off my sd card, formatted it and now the music will show up. Bigger problem now- when I go to my photo albums, it only shows pictures I have taken since I formatted my sd card. When I put the card in my computer, all the pictures are there. Has anyone had this happen?? Any ideas on what to do??? so frustrated....:mad:

so hopefully someone can help. a few weeks ago my music player stopped recognizing my music files. saved everything off my sd card, formatted it and now the music will show up. Bigger problem now- when I go to my photo albums, it only shows pictures I have taken since I formatted my sd card. When I put the card in my computer, all the pictures are there. Has anyone had this happen?? Any ideas on what to do??? so frustrated....:mad:

Is it possible after formatting your card you put the photos in the wrong folder?

Upvote 0
The phone will find them no matter what folder they are in. Not sure if you can hide a folder from view or not though. Also the OP didn't do a format of the card, if so it will wipe the card and the pics would be gone and they would not be viewable on his pc.

Better yet, he did format it, that is why they can not be found on the phone, only the new pics since the format. When looking on the pc, he is looking at the backup he did of the card, not the card itself.

Upvote 0
Also the OP didn't do a format of the card, if so it will wipe the card and the pics would be gone and they would not be viewable on his pc. .

He did format the card. That's what he said he did. Backed up his files and formatted, then put the files back.

Shellee, if u say the pics are there when u look at the card through ur computer, try using an app like astro to see if the pictures are there. Maybe ur gallery is screwed up.

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, even if the photos were in the "wrong" folder, they would show up in a separate gallery in the Photo app.

Photos from the camera are stored inside a top-level folder called DCIM (and two other folders called "camera" and "100media" inside that; photos are stored inside the "/DCIM/100media" folder.) Are you sure that you copied that folder completely back to the SD card?

If that was the case - that you hadn't copied that folder back - be careful when you do copy back. I'm not sure what logic the camera app uses when naming photos, but it's very possible that when the camera app discovered that there were no photos on the SD card (and then created a new DCIM folder structure) that it started counting from "IMAG0001.jpg" again. If you simply copy over, you may wipe out the photos that you've taken since the format.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones