• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photoshop can't open .PNG files

holgalee

Nov 23, 2010
I found some really cool icons recently but they were in .ico format. I wanted to open them in CS4 PS (because they seemed quite big and I wanted to resize them) but .ICO is not supported in PS, so I surfed the net and downloaded a ICO.8BI and a PNG.8BI and pasted them into my PS plug-ins>file formats folder. I already had a PNG.8BI but the website seemed to imply that I need both, so I replaced my existing PNG.8BI with the new one from the net.

Problem is, now I can't open both .png and .ico files! I've opened and closed PS a few times and have even replaced the PNG.8BI file with one from another computer, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas? I really hope to restore the ability to open .PNG files because I want to modify or make my own icons. TIA.

What version of Windows are you running? It's possible you might be able to restore it from a previous version if you're on Vista or newer (it might work with XP, I just don't remember).

Close out Photoshop, then go to the location where the file is located that you replaced (the png.8bi) and right click the file - select properties - see if there is a previous versions tab in the properties box - if there is, then you should be able to restore that previous version (which should be the one that came with your installation in the first place).

As to making .ICO files editable, hmmm, not sure what you need to do there. I'm assuming that you never had that ICO.8bi file there in the first place, right?

Reactions: holgalee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones